Wild Night demo. Tracked last night, Thown together this morning.

RawDepth

An old Van Morrison song. Later Remade by Mellencamp and Me'Shell Ndegeocello.

Again, just looking for your thoughts on the mix.

Thanks.

Last edited:
At least on my headphones, the bass is too boomy and dominated by low end. The playing has a nice groove, but the percussive aspects don't come through. I'd also drop the bass volume when the other instruments come in. Once the chorus hits, the song really takes off - the singing on the chorus is nice.

MONSTROUS bottom end.
Def needs taming across the rhythm section.
The fem vocals, initially, were a little loud. When the two voices blend in the chorus they sound great.
Yeah doesn't sound right at the end of lines by the woman.
Do something about the bottom end.
Good performances and capture though.

I agree on the bass.

I initially had the bass lower in the mix and slightly thinner, but the band didn't like it. They complained that it just wasn't coming through when listening on phones and tablets. (Even though it sounded normal on 3 different home stereo systems.) So I ran the mix through MaxxBass Enhancer to add overtones for small devices. Now they are happy.

I'll try to talk with them about it and maybe remix it to a happy medium.

Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, the male singer just informed me that he wants to redo his vocal track with less growl and gravel. This gives me a great opportunity to fix the things you guys mentioned. Thanks again!

You might be able to tame that boomy bass with a little EQ, still leaving the upper enhancement. It overshadows the guitars during the verses. The guitar panned to the right seems to unbalance the overall mix in the choruses.

Being a bassist, I like the bass although I agree it is a little boomy compared to the rest of the mix. As it is though, I really enjoyed the track. Good stuff.

I'd like to hear the revised mix when you're done. :thumbs up:

Back