Wicked Game instrumental

EL34

Clown car chauffeur
I love the Chris Isaak tune, Wicked Game and so I did it as an instrumental.

It's not an exact copy of the original, it's got my own stamp on it.

It's a Fenderish 2 x 10 tube amp combo with a Hoffman AB763 board and boat loads of spring reverb.

Let me know how the mix sounds, this is just the first mix, my ears need a rest.
Wicked Game - 4.58 meg

Sweet guitar playing nicely drenched in spring reverb. Really nice overall mix too. I like the panning going on - is that double guitars (around 2:00)....sounds very cool.... Good percussion choice with the shaker....
One of the best guitar pieces I've heard on this board.....no doubt..... :D

Hey thanks, I appreciate it.

There are probably 15 tracks to this song.

10 are segmented guitar tracks with two to three guitars on each track.

If it's two guitars they are panned 75% and -75% and the -75% pan track will get a 20 millisecond delay.

If it's 3 parts, one will be panned 0. right down the middle and the other two will be 75% and -75%.

Someone on another forum wanted to hear more kick drum and tone down the shaker. What do you think?

Shaker only seemed a tiny bit loud when the guitars are not so busy. When the guitars are happening it fits in quite nicely. It really adds to the overall flavor of the tune.

Can't hear any bass drum on my PC speakers. However, that doesn't bother me. I get enough "beat" from the guitars and shakers anyway. More bass drum would be a matter of taste, I guess. I don't find it an issue, really.

Third listen and it sounds really good!

The intro has that kick drum that kind of mirrors what the bass does when it comes in so I made the kick on the 1, 2 and 4 only after the intro.

I'll try a mix tomorrow with the shakers toned down when it's quiet.

Thanks for the input, my ears were toast today after too much recording.

I also thought of adding that latin pecussion thing that sounds like a popsickle stick on a washboard. :D What the heck are those things called? spaced out! guido??????

This was interesting! I liked it.
It's gonna help me with one solo where I try to mix to solo guitar tracks.
Back to Isaak instrumental:
I don't know what to say. It's pretty much fine.
You could experiment with rhythm track, just to try it. This shaker thing is not bad but the instrumental has several parts and guitars are making them all nice but different. Drum track is same all the time and maybe it's killing a little bit dynamics.

Anyway, excellent job!

I updated the mix on this tune to reduce the shaker edge and I changed the shaker pattern for more variance.

The kick drum is the same as in the intro now.

HAAAA! I didnt read the blurb, I was gonna say " This sounds like Chris Isaac" :D Now I read it :rolleyes:

Sounds just like its supposed to. :cool: Sounds like the Chris Isaac song :D

It's not an exact copy of the original, it's got my own stamp on it.

I wanna hear MORE STAMP! Sounds TOO much like the original to me, I like it when folks REALLY interpret covers. As a classical guy I make my living doing "covers", and the key is really "owning" the song with creative interpretation.

Other than that it sounds great. I once saw this Playboy video :eek: and it sounded JUST like this I swear: they did this song sans vocals. Considering that was probably top session guys thats quite a compliment.

Thanks DK.

I guess what I meant was that I do mostly intrumental stuff, so that's my stamp.

But you are right, it's not too far off from the original. The melody is the same, Bass line, drums.

Sounds like something you hear in an elevator or on a playboy video. :rolleyes:

Some good work there man. Well arranged. I like the bit with the call and response between the main vocal and the backing vocal part of the song...if that makes sense!!!
i personally would try and push the response section more to the background, maybe drown it it more reverb, because the line itself sits out quite alot because of the notes in the section are monotonous. So if you push them further back and put more reverb you may get more of a haunting effect. Maybe try a delay to play those notes with. Your playing of the melody line reminds me of Hank marvin and the shadows. Overall its a very good piece of work, not too far from the original. Well done. :)

Gummblefish,
I was thinking the exact same thing as you on that response.

I wanted it way back and cave like but I didn't mess with it enough.
I'll go back and drop the volume, add delay and try to get it into the background.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dude, sweet guitar tones!
This is a song I always love to play.. crank up the reverb on the amp, turn off the lights, turn on the disco ball (yeah I know, I'm weird) and just play away.
The tone is sweet. I'm listening to the new mix and don't hear anything wrong with it. Maybe take a tad of high end off the lead guitar.
Sweet sweet listen :)

Thanks Snake, one of my favorite tunes also.

With the verb cranked standing in front of a good tube amp, it's like Butter!

Back