Why it´s still sounding like a demo

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
Hi, here you could listen to my band´s latest recording session at home.

Could you tell me why it doesnt rocks!!. I mean if you compare it with another of our songs recorded in a different place let´s say "little studio", mine sounds like a demo or like we were practicing or something, the other has a different vibe, I dont now if its the performance, room acoustics, soundcard (I use a Delta 1010lt, the "little studio" has a Gina or Layla) or whatever. I´m very dissapointed with the results please let me know what you think. And if you want to make a comparisson go to http://mamifero.iuma.com then click on Ficcion and check what I´m saying.

After all I think I need more mileage.

Thanx
Tama

I don't think it has anything to do with your soundcard. The Delta 1010 is every bit as good as the Echo stuff (Gina/Layla, etc.), if not better.

There is a lot more room for error, though, than just your soundcard. Probably more important than your soundcard (at least when comparing the difference between Echo and M-Audio) are the following, and probably in this order:

a) the skills/knowledge of who is recording the song - what kind of mic to use, where to put it, how to mix it, how/whether or not to add compression, reverb, EQ....

b) the kind of mic you're using (and going back to A, how it is used)

c) preamps (and going back to A, how it is used)

d) the space you are recording in - shape, size, sound reflection/absorbency

e) (closely related to D) - what kind of monitors are used to mix.

You've really asked a HUGE question. A little more about your setup, physical space, techniques, etc. could allow us to help you on some more specifics.

Chris

Let´s talk about my setup........

Delta 1010lt
Behringer mixer
1 MXL990 (vocals, bass, and OH)
1 MXL603 (OH)
1 SM57 (snare, guitars)
1 PRO25 (kick)
Pro speakers, not monitors

My PC is PIII 600mhz 128 RAM, I use SONAR XL to record and mix, no external effects, plugins only. I use Timeworks, BlueLine, Waves and Revalver for guitars. We try to previously setup the guitar sound using some external effects. (I mean just guitar effects)
The room isnt well isolated, I hang some blankets here and there, place carpets on the floor, close the curtains, and I´m ready to record. I´m recording in one room so I have to deal with inside and outside noises. There´s nothing I can do about it.

If I try to find differences between both locations, I think that this "little studio" has a basic isolated room with a bad sounding drum kit (I think I get a better sound of my kit at home!!. This "little studio" doesnt use condensers as OH, just two 57´s ), a guy who knows how to do it and a AT4033 or some model like that but it´s AT. He uses it for vocals, guitars, bass, and percussion. This guy doesnt have monitors, just personal speakers!!! and could do a better work. I think he was saving until he can afford a pair of monitors cause, he have bought a pair of NSM10

This song is my first project, and my first experience using the Delta 1010lt, before that I use to record on my SBLive, now I have to mix drums (4 channels instead of one when I record with SB), and all with a pair of JBL speakers!!!. :(
My bandmates are telling me that we might go to a pro studio and finish our work there, I don´t know what to do, I have invested in all this gear beacuse I love this homerecording thing and I was trying to get the best recording quality without spending too much money. I know that my gear is pretty basic and no well rated, I buy it reading some posts here and asking people arround, but I think I need to stay here to learn more and see my recording skills get better.

Last edited:
Okay, gear seems fine. What kind of Behringer mixer? The new UB mixers have far superior pres to the old MX series ones.

Options A and D in my list are the next suspects. Any details on those?

Chris

Okay, the song fiction sounds nice and full with good use of the stereo field. All the instruments are nice and clear.

The song in which you speak sounds like there is practically no panning at all...everything seems to take up the same space. Everything seems so brittle, light and fragile, almost like it's being played in the other room. It actually sounds like a live recording, recorded with mics IN another room.

Ficcion sounds like it was recorded and mixed, and possibly mastered by someone who knows what they're doing around the old recording studio. Was that one professionally done?

The other one sounds like some old tapes we did in a garage playing live with one track. Okay, enough comparisons, I think compression could help you a bit with some volume, but if you can, I'd try and remix that song giving each instrument their space in the speakers for starters...that should help a lot. Also, maybe it's just me, but my MXL990 absolutely blows. That may or may not be contributing to a thin sound on a bunch of tracks.

Does that help at all?

Thanks Rob

Ficcion sounds like it was recorded and mixed, and possibly mastered by someone who knows what they're doing around the old recording studio. Was that one professionally done?

Not mastering at all, just mixed, I agree with you the guy who did it knows what he´s doing. I´m not so sure if I could call professional to that studio. When he recorded it he only used a pair of home speakers to mix it, no condensers for drums, and no processors or external effects just plugins and a lot of experience I think.
I´ll do another mix, trying that every instrument have his space. Thanks for listening.

BTW What do you mean when you talk about the MXL 990?

Tama

The snare sounds phasey to me. Two mics on the drums right? You should be micing that thing with 4 at least (If I had 10 in/out I would be micing every lugnut.). I can't hear the kick at all, just hi hat and phasey snare. The guitars are way too low, bring them up.

Hope I could be of service.

TamaSabian said:
BTW What do you mean when you talk about the MXL 990?

Tama

You mentioned you use the mxl990 for vocals n' shit. I own this mic as well, and it always sounded to me like it was being recorded into a tin can...hands down, the worst mic I have, or have ever heard. I don't know if I got a bad one or what, but mine sucks. That may or may not have something to do with the thin sound. that's all. Buying a new mic is probably not on your list of things to do, but if you're looking for cheap and good, go with the Studio Projects B1.

Good luck man!
Tait

It sounds like a blanket is thrown over my monitors.No highs at all except on the hi-hats.....all the other elements of the song could REALLY use some highs to give them more presence in the mix.The cymbals seem to be panned dead center too....it would help the rhythm section out a lot if you panned one cymbal to the left a little and another to the right a little.........also pan the hi-hat off to one side a little.....spread the guitars a little more......yeah,that wah solo guitar sounds like it has a blanket thrown over the amp........it's really dull......needs some highs to give it presence.

Just some random thoughts as I listened to it.

Fatt, I used 4 mics!!!, 1 on the snare and kick and two overheads. I didnt read the thread that talks about getting fat drums with three mics. I´ve tried and it works!!.
Rob one B1 could be my next mic, I was thinking about it, great value for sure.
Kramer, yeah you´re right those guitars need more highs. I agree that all the song need that.
The next step is mix again following your great suggestions, and see how it sounds.

Thanks for your time and listening.

Tama

Well, I finally mix the song again. If you want to listen go to:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/tamasabianexperience/singles

Download No estas. That´s the song. I think it sounds better now.

Fatt, the drums were recorded without using any particular tecnique, just trying to emulate a XY setup but as you have listened doesn´t sound great.
Now I´m working in another project and I have read the thread, I´m amazed with the results.

Thanks

Tama

Back