Why does my mix suck much?

frank_1

Why does my mix suck much? I'm using Ez drummer, Cubase 4 and a PODxt , my bass is a DeArmond that goes though the same POD. I will say that for drums I didn't use any effects , i.e. compressor, reverb. What would you do to change both songs?

Songs to Download: Misty Hills and Simmer

www.myspace.com/frankjanselmo

Why does my mix suck much? I'm using Ez drummer, Cubase 4 and a PODxt , my bass is a DeArmond that goes though the same POD. I will say that for drums I didn't use any effects , i.e. compressor, reverb. What would you do to change both songs?

Songs to Download: Misty Hills and Simmer

www.myspace.com/frankjanselmo

I would ditch the POD, record through that amp in your myspace picture, and learn how to use compression and EQ together to give everything a constant, well defined space in your mixes (especially your drums - look up parallel compression and don't let anyone tell you it's "outdated" or some bullshit like that - parallel compression on drums really is where the magic's at!).

I know POD owners would rather sever one of their own legs before actually giving up on it....but really, man. That's why your guitars don't sound meaty and ballsy or edgy like (I think) they should for your music. I tried the ampsim thing for years, and finally just quit trying after I experienced how easy it is to record a great sounding guitar amp and have it come out sounding great (get it right at the source kinda thing, ya know?)

Hope that helps!

Your playing is great and tight but ditch the pod. It's sucking life out of the performance. You can tell it's recorded through a pod. Get the tones out of your amp and try miking it up. It will get some air into the recording.

On Simmer, you have a guitar solo that's way quieter than the rhythm riffs. I don't know if it was intentional but the playing was definitely doing good but shouldn't be in the background like that(at least not for me).

Nice to hear you have a dearmond! I have one too. It actually sucks pretty bad. I have a hard time getting tones that I actually like with it. Actually a really hard time. But it is usable, takes fiddling. I have had better luck recording bass direct but I actually want to try getting the tone through a cab and miking up the cabinet instead of going direct in. Give the amp recording a try instead of through the pod. Hopefully it makes a notable difference in your recordings. I wouldn't worry about the drums. The guitar seems to be the focal point of your music, get them sounding right before you worry about the other stuff.

Good luck!

indeed awesome playing.

these mixes don't really suck, they just sounds generic due to the combination of POD and ez drummer.

amps and a real drummer will make the difference.

Yes I agree with alot that's been said here. I too used to use sims but they always sounded flat no matter what I did to them. Mic up that amp and you'll here the change right away.

yeah, I wish I still had and amp head but even then I don't have a room to record loud. But I still do have a question, I have heard ppl using a POD and having great results with it. I mean it would sound much more "pro" then my mixes. But yeah, I notice a lot of noise with the POD even though i'm using monster cables....

It's not the POD, it's how you set it up. You need to take some time and figure out how to get it to sound 'pro' if that's what your after.

I don't use a big head and a 4x12 cab to record my guitars either. I use a couple small practice amps and a lot if careful mic placement.

I also record with a drum machine, but lucky for me, I have a couple friends on this board who do drums for me.

Keep plugging at it, and if you can't get some decent sounds from the POD, ditch it and get a good smaller amp. You can get some good sounds from even smaller amps if you are careful.

Good luck with it. You seem to have a lot of talent, so now figure out how to put it down on tape/disc, whatever.

It's just a mash of muddy guitars. Get better guitar tones however you have to do it. I've heard some pretty good stuff out of pods, so it can be done. Play with it.

What are you actually doing with the POD? It sounds like you've gone through the presets and found patches that sound a bit like what you want, then recorded them.

Obviously this is the simple way to do it, but not the best. Try changing the settings, take some gain out and turn the master volume up to compensate, add some mids to that lead sound, and get more of a 'crunch' for your rhythm.

I'm you've heard it said a thousand times, less distortion and more layering is the way forward. Your heavy rhythm guitar is fighting with the woolly bass tone, tighten them both up with the POD EQ and it should be easier to mix.

Okay the picture for the tune... damn. Anyway, nice playing. Rockin tune man! The mix to my ears is a bit more muddy, a bit less punchy. You need to find the rock punch. Second song started and the mix is similar. So... any thoughts on that from me on things to possibly try...
Drums - could use more punch, could be fatter... maybe try double tracking the whole drum mix, one with some fat verb and compression, the other without and an EQ focus on the snare for more bit. Then mess with the volumes between the two (or even three)
Guitars - yeah it's gotta be the POD doing that. You can maybe EQ some more life into it by dropping a bit of midrange and raising somewhere between 1000-4000Hz for rhythm (whereever sounds best for that guitar) and maybe fattening up the lead by raising the under 1000 area or double tracking... but overall you can only do some much for a non amped guitar.

Anyway, playing rocked man, enjoyed the tunes and added you as a friend!

Yep, your playing rocks as stated before here.

The drums are on their best at the third song, I figure because there is a lot happening with them.
I've noticed that using EZ-drummer, using alot of fills sounds better than leaving it pounding on a single thing. Also, adding cymbals here and there allover makes it less sterile.

I'd heavily EQ them rhythm-guitar lines to take out the boomyness, if you're using any kinda reverb or delay in the rhythmtracks, quit it, dry sounds are easier to mix.
When tracking, the thing that sounds best by itself, like reverb, doesn't necessarily work in the mix at all... too much distortion is bad too.

As a bass-player:hate your sound.:D
It's kinda clonky and woolly, without the bottom and definition I like..
But that's a matter of taste to a point.

Very prog and dreamtheater-ish stuff you do, try dropping to three chords and plain-simple ROCK once in a while. A sudden, simplicity-driven three-chord-in your face-kinda thing moves the song along amazingly sometimes.:D

Back