White Noise

Definitely hearing Lou Reed. Great feel to this jam and kudos for keeping it real. Is it recorded live? Really gets going after a few bars. I like it

Definitely hearing Lou Reed. Great feel to this jam and kudos for keeping it real. Is it recorded live? Really gets going after a few bars. I like it

Thanks for checking it out. It's me playing everything, so it is as live as I could get. Stereo ribbon and condenser vocal mic to click for acoustic/vocals first pass. Stereo ribbon on drums, using brushes. Stereo ribbon on yamaha U3 upright piano. Mono condenser on bass. Just raw 1 take tracks, no edits - then mixed a bit and layed in all the bg vocals, additional guitars and guitar solo - triple tracked at different positions on neck. The basic tracks pan however the mic heard them. I don't like how much room is in the bass so am going to re-cut with mic much closer in. Probably also add a mic on the kick, and try and get the stereo mic more centered on the kit for next songs.

Hello chuckduffy! I like the live feel of the rhythm section-the bass seems a bit low to me-seems like the bass drum covers it a bit, but that adds to that live feel. Vocals sound great for a single performance! I like the piano. The guitar sounds pretty modern for the genre, but that's again personal preference. Very listenable and catchy tune overall!..... Saw the feelies at the felt forum open for REM--really good show....

Hello chuckduffy! I like the live feel of the rhythm section-the bass seems a bit low to me-seems like the bass drum covers it a bit, but that adds to that live feel. Vocals sound great for a single performance! I like the piano. The guitar sounds pretty modern for the genre, but that's again personal preference. Very listenable and catchy tune overall!..... Saw the feelies at the felt forum open for REM--really good show....

Hey thanks for checking it out, good to see you still kicking around here! The bass is definitely not hitting the mark, way too much room and is fighting with the kick, even though the kick is off center cause of the stereo setup. Other thing is its a relatively new bass for me. I swapped out my Jazz bass for a Musicman a few years ago. Still not used to it.

Hadn't thought about the guitar, but guess you are talking about the solo. I normally would record with my Les through an old ampeg, but I tried my kids new strat di with plugin played on different neck positions. Ends up sounding like a prince lead tone or something lol. I thought it was weird and jarring and ended up liking it so I left it :-) Feelies were great. Forgot they used to tour with REM. My wife probably saw that tour...

PS - this is a video of the vocal/acoustic take. The cans were slipping off my head the entire second half thus the zombie face, which I thought was kinda funny. Guitar is an old late 60s yamaha my brother in law gave to me. Actually learned to play guitar on it when I was in high school.

YouTube

Back