Where's the production value?

jndietz

The Way It Moves
I've heard a lot of mixes over the course of my membership here on these forums, but people making songs seem to not add anything to the song except for the song itself, you know? There's nothing extra...

Thats what really makes a good song. Sure, simplistic stuff can get the point across and sometimes thats all thats necessary, but why aren't you guys going over the top?

I've heard a lot of mixes over the course of my membership here on these forums, but people making songs seem to not add anything to the song except for the song itself, you know? There's nothing extra...

Thats what really makes a good song. Sure, simplistic stuff can get the point across and sometimes thats all thats necessary, but why aren't you guys going over the top?

A great majority of songs posted here simply arent those types of songs. Some people have elaborate arrangments, Rami and Supercreep/Incanus come to mind. Others have minimal arrangements because they are serving the music and thats what the music needs.

Rami and Supercreep/Incanus

...just wanted to see that in the same sentence. :D

Yeah, David, it's about time you beefed up your productions, too. This minimalist stuff you've been trying to peddle here just ain't cutting it. :D :D :D

I think its splendid when artists put more into a recording than just their song. Its really nice to hear different things almost everytime you hear the song. I guess we're not selling them so thats probably why a lot of you guys don't go as far to do that.

I think its splendid when artists put more into a recording than just their song. Its really nice to hear different things almost everytime you hear the song. I guess we're not selling them so thats probably why a lot of you guys don't go as far to do that.

Again: the point is to serve the music. If you are Harry Chapin, you dont need 60 tracks of synths. The majority of songs posted here are of the singer-songwriter or basic rock genres. In those cases, overproduction would be just as wrong as underproduction.

Reactions: NL5
I guess we're not selling them so thats probably why a lot of you guys don't go as far to do that.

Hehe...A lot of assumptions there. Mostly wrong. Many people put up well-produced, "finished" version of songs here. Many don't. Many put up what they think are good productions, but would have been better off keeping it simple until they learn the basics of mixing. There's all kinds here.

But, regardless of all that, you seem angry about it. Are you alright???

I'm gonna start adding more synths, samples, claps, maracas, djembes, bongos, triangles, tambourines, cowbells, and overdubs to all of my 250 bpm 2 minute punk songs.

No, I don't mean those. I was talking about that one you did where you played a well-built immigrant poolboy at the San Francisco YMCA. Remember that one? :D

Someone video-taped that????:eek:

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. I try hard to add a lot of elements into my songs. My lyrics are well thought out, I try to song on key and add harmony. When appropriate I add harmonica and flute and recorder that I've been playing for 30 years. I also use a lot of voices from a Roland synthesizer.

Perhaps you could post something and show us how to do it.:)

Yeah, I don't really get this either.

All I can think of is something like Pink Floyd. Occasional 'special effects', the sound of a TV in the background, bits of conversation with a low, droning synth note underneath, wind and sheep and crickets. Or songs that sort of flow from one into the other. Is that the kind of thing you're getting at?

Yeah, I don't really get this either.

All I can think of is something like Pink Floyd. Occasional 'special effects', the sound of a TV in the background, bits of conversation with a low, droning synth note underneath, wind and sheep and crickets. Or songs that sort of flow from one into the other. Is that the kind of thing you're getting at?

Anybody know where I can pick up a cheap sheep. Or a cricket, yeah, that's the ticket.:D

lots of instruments =! good production.

i would say production is the flow of a song, which layering of instruments and the way each part compliments the other is a big part of...but it's also about transition, repetition, and knowing when these layers should build and EQUALLY as important how they should take away.

today i made a decision to work on this especially with rhythm.

Back