where should I post this?

Wow.... Excellent guitar work man. I think the mix of the guitars sounds great. The tone is nice. The drums... Umm... They're not really up to par with the rest of the tracks. You're second mix with the lead guitar more prounouced was a wise decision. That lead guitar needs to sit out front a bit from the rest of the mix. Excellent song as well!!

thank you..that means a lot..:) I write alot of different styles..this one is more laid back than some..I've been playing guitar for about 1-1/2 years..but i was a bassist for about 15...finally started taking the guitar more seriously in september of 2001..

I jammed the rhythm forever it seems..for a few months even...not knowing how to make it into a song..then finally it came to me one day while driving around lol..

on the sound..

I've heard the same thing about the drums..i think we have a little work to do..

he uses these CAD drum mics and they are very mid-rangy...the kick and snare wer really bad before i blended..

any ideas on eq'ing the drums? i know we should try to get the best sound going in..but re-recording will probably reap the same results..our room stinks and we close mic...

thanks again..

these are kind of "long in the tooth" w/o vocals, but here's another one..

same issue with the drums or what?

thanks..

Excellent playing.The bass sounds a little too flabby for my taste but it works.Love that little breakdown thing that occurs at 2:34....lovin the acoustic guitar solo!With some tweaking this tune will sound tight.The drums sound GOOD.Gotta love real drums in a demo.......you might wanna roll off some extreme lows on the lead guitar and the bass......like everything below 50Hz.

Good tune.You should post the links to the songs in your original post to make it easier for people to get to them.

thanks man..

i posted a link to the 2nd tune over there as well....no responses over there...i'll put a direct link to the 1st file here as well..(in the first post)

i'll try rolling the bass off the guitars and bass...the bass is run straight through an art mp studio...any suggestions on getting a better tone out of it? i could even re-record it...it sounds good on speakers with a sub..(read: hyped to hell lol:D) but otherwise i do not like the tone that much..it'll work for this demo purpose i guess..getting gigs..but i'd love to get it fatter sounding..

i don't have monitoring speakers..in fact i have crap computer speakers..what i do is listen to it on all kinds of systems and make adjustments....

I'd love to get the drum tones to the level of the guitars...probably impossible eh? lol..well..good thing i haven't added any effects or eq yet...other than the kick and snare duplicate tracks (rolled off the low rumble below 80hz and cut midrange on the snare..)....i blended these with the original tracks..panned the 2 snare tracks slightly (5 and -5)..

FYI, drums are close mic'd (not a good room) with CAD drum mics..the tracks are:

kick
snare
rack toms
floor toms
1 overhead

any ideas are welcome.

thank you.

Rolling those lows off below 50Hz and adding slight compression to the bass guitar will help it out a lot IMHO.

sorry, can't really comment on anything on this really. Good performing, and well recorded, too. Maybe some vocal will spice this up a bit, but, this one already rocks!

AL

Sounds good from here,nice guitar playing,how did you record them?

Drums sound pretty good,mabey need a little low end and some reverb,to match the guitars.

Bass sounded good,definitly needs more punch though.
Mabey if you played it different.
The tune has a jazzy upbeat feel to it, the bass needs more of a slap sound to it,and some compression like Kramer said.
Just my humble opinion:)

Overall,great sounding tune.
Looking foward to more,
Pete

on the bass line..we just fired our bassist and I had to basically wing a bass line myself and play it....I thought about slap but just laid back i guess lol..i may try it again just as an alternate mix...

I was a bassist for about 10 years and i've been focusing on guitar for about 1-1/2 years..

the guitar is a 2001 taylor 314ce.

My drummer made this ghetto iso booth from plywood and draped all kinds of foam and blankets over the top and inside.:D

I mic'd it at the 12th fret, about 6 inches out with an audio technica 3035 LD condenser. I ran the mic into my ART studio MP preamp and into our AW16g. The art's input was about 11AM and the output was about 1pm. The 20db gain was off, the OPL was on. phase was out (normal). The trim on the AW16G was at 12o'clock. Signal peaked around -3db with the rhythm guitar..about the same with the 2nd guitar during the solos..

thanks to all for the comments..i need all the help I can get on mixing...I'm going to apply the suggestions tonight...

On the second tune i posted, City , I'm wondering if that rhythm guitar should be duplicated and delayed like in the first tune?

in the beginning and verse rhythms is is a tight, percussive thing and I'm debating whether that delay is mucking it up a bit..ideas?

Oh..

I'll post my initial post from the mixing clinic here since this is where it should have been to begin with:

would you guys mind listening to my first rough mix?
This is my first stab at computer mixing so I really need some objective ears to give this a listen. This is one of three tunes we will use for demo purposes (for my band to get gigs with)

i recorded 2 acoustic guitar tracks, 1 bass guitar and my friend did the drums. I'm going to re-do the vocals (had a cold), so I took them out for this test mix. Everything was recorded with a yamaha AW16g and the the wav's were burned to CD and loaded into n-track studio.

There are no effects on anything. I did duplicate the kick and snare tracks and eq'd them slightly different than the recorded kick and snare. (no more than 3db to cut some mids, in sound forge 6.0) I blended these with the original tracks.

If anyone needs more information then I'll be glad to post it.

Thank for your time.

oh, i should mention this i guess..

i did duplicate the main rhythm guitar track, spread the two tracks out in stereo and delayed one of them 0:00:01 sec. on the 2 solos at the end, i duplicated the 2nd guitar track and wiped out everything except the solo to boost it a bit without having to ride the fader..thanks.

new drum mix with the bass rolled off the drums and bass guitar....i bumped up the drums a bit as well..

any better?

thanks..

Back