Where the grasses lie - Feedback required

Hi Mark

I like it! A couple things stand out to me though. Firstly, the drums are way too drowned out in the first 43 seconds. It seems as if it was supposed to be softer during the intro and verse(?) however instead of sounding like a velocity change, it sounds more like just a fader was cranked up at 44 seconds.
Second, there is some low/low mid build up that comes through pretty heavily in parts. I would suggest finding those frequencies and controlling them with some eq or multiband comp.

Other than that it sounds great. Would like to hear this after vocals are added.

Good sounding guitars. Drums are a little far back for me compared to everything else. They seem to get lost. Otherwise, sounding good so far.

Thanks for the listen guys ?

Hi Mark

I like it! A couple things stand out to me though. Firstly, the drums are way too drowned out in the first 43 seconds. It seems as if it was supposed to be softer during the intro and verse(?) however instead of sounding like a velocity change, it sounds more like just a fader was cranked up at 44 seconds.
Second, there is some low/low mid build up that comes through pretty heavily in parts. I would suggest finding those frequencies and controlling them with some eq or multiband comp.

Other than that it sounds great. Would like to hear this after vocals are added.

Do you mean the hand drums in the background or the main drum? The intro was supposed to sound quite rustic and was mostly toms with the main drum giving some impact...I'm no drummer so will try and get it to sound a little more authentic rather than a fader being pushed up! The low mids are pretty heavy around half way I agree. I was trying to make it quite distinct from the acoustic led verse that follows but have probably not paid enough attention to eq...

Good sounding guitars. Drums are a little far back for me compared to everything else. They seem to get lost. Otherwise, sounding good so far.

I'd not considered that but listening back I tend to agree. The acoustic guitars were my first go at recording with a matched pair of Rode M5s.

You've got a pretty good wall of sound going. I'd like to hear more energy from the drums generally and more kick in particular. You could try high passing the guitars and make some room down below

You've got a pretty good wall of sound going. I'd like to hear more energy from the drums generally and more kick in particular. You could try high passing the guitars and make some room down below

Thanks for the listen...the drums are done on MT drummer so I'll be having my first go at editing the midi patterns and play a little. High passing the guitars? That's a level of mixing/ editing I could well lose my way in but I'll have a look.

Mark

Sounds good to me.
I can't judge low end at all in this room.
I always have to take it to the car.
I did hear a bit of a build up though which usually in this room means too much bottom.
Yes bring them drums up.

Nice composition and playing - reminds me a bit of the band Real Estate.
Agree with the others that the EQ is a bit muddy and the drums are distant. I think cutting some low-mid from the guitar, and maybe some lows from the bass would help. Maybe experiment with a bit of compression on the bass to get some punch into it.

Nice composition and playing - reminds me a bit of the band Real Estate.
Agree with the others that the EQ is a bit muddy and the drums are distant. I think cutting some low-mid from the guitar, and maybe some lows from the bass would help. Maybe experiment with a bit of compression on the bass to get some punch into it.

Thanks...I like some of their stuff although not a massive influence. I'll hopefully be getting vocals on it next week and get to work on eq for the guitars.

Back