When The Ship Comes In

Damn good!

The vocal is kinda moofy and over-effected.

But the #1 thing that would make this piece move is more invention and arpeggiation in the bass line...outlining the chords with notes played on the quarters. Without that, the playout lays flat...doesn't 'travel'..."ramble"...'amble'...and 'walkabout'.

Suggest listening to some bluegrass bassmen to grab hold of the feel.

Thanks Jeff. I agree, unfortunately I'm not all that good at the bass yet. :-) I just bought my bass about 6 months ago so I wouldn't have to use a keyboard for bass lines. I'm still working on improvement.

I appreciate the input.

Playing bass is a different beast. I don't even attempt it...lol...
Overall I think this is a good mix. The bass could use some more room to get it to stand out. Maybe high pass the acoustic so the bass can pop out a bit.

Good song, good singing/playing, nice job....:D:):D:)

I love this, just reminds me of dylan in his heyday. What a great great song. I was thinking all the way through how good it would sound with some banjo and accordian and then in pops the harmonica, fantastic, I am very impressed:)

I agree that this has less mud than some prior things of yours I remember hearing (a dead cover?). Also, the vocals don't have that doubling thing going this time. This is an improvement to my ear, although I think you could go further in this direction by lightening the lower frequencies on the guitar and tightening up the bass sound a little bit (kind of what ido suggests). Good job.

I like it...2 things I would change...I'd leave out the bass and I'd mic the guitar - not use pickup mic

I like it...2 things I would change...I'd leave out the bass and I'd mic the guitar - not use pickup mic

Thanks for the input. There are actually two guitars; an ovation elite that is recorded with the pickup and a Taylor GC3 that is mic'd. Would probably sound better if both were mic'd.

Back