When I Need You

Man, this is a great sounding mix. Very catchy tune too. What was synth and what was actual instrumentation? I think the lows, mids, and high frequencies are well balanced here. Very clean recording too. The only nit I have is the crash cymble sounded a little clangy.
fantastic recording man!

There are only regular instruments: classical guitar,piano,upright bass (Trillian),Ezdrummer. And electric guitar with EBow :) The horns-NI Session Horns.

Thank you for listening! I happy you like it!

That's really nice - I like the transition from the first part to the EBow electric guitar. My only mix complaint would be the horns - they sound "fake" to me. They need sharper attack to be credible "stabs". I'm not an expert at getting good MIDI horn sounds, but sometimes I layer multiple soundfonts (and spread them in stereo) to get a little more complexity in the sound.

I agree that the horns were not convincing. They immediately sounded pretty fake to me. Other than that, all the tones were very nice. The song was catchy, and I really dig the contrasting sections -- both in tonality and instrumentation. My only other nit is that the nylon string melody was slightly rushed throughout a good bit of the song. I think if you check the waveform against the drums (or the grid, assuming you played to a click), you'll see what I'm talking about. It's just riding out on the front of the beat pretty consistently --- just enough make me a little anxious.

Anyway, other than that, I really dug it. Cool stuff! :)

Back