What's left to do to this one?

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
Submitted for your approval...

Is this one ready to put on the CD? I think so, but I'll defer to the more experienced ears on this forum. Feel free to make suggestions about the mix. I want to think that we're done tracking on this one, but if anyone hears anything goofy, let me know. More sax than the last tune I posted, and the vocals are a lot less frenetic...

Thanks!

Think Back

Nice tune, good vocals. The mix sounds pretty good to me, mabey bring up the drums just a little if anything. I like the sax, but wonder what the tune would sound like with a guitar in it's place. Overall, it's a good tune, nice work.

Thanks.

Can't put a guitar in there, though. The hook for this band is the fact that they DON'T have a guitar... :)

The "hook" is that you don't have a guitar? You choose not to put any guitar in there, or you don't have a guitarist? I really like the tune anyway, and the sax sounds ok.

I really like this it has a real live intimate feel about it. I don't think you should tinker with this any more at all. Sounds great to my ears. That crash actualy, is kinda wide. But overall I really like this. Another one for my "Keeper" folder. Great vocal. I thought you were disguising a scottish accent when you hit the chorus?

Thanks for sharing,

Alec

I'm just recording this one for a band...not my stuff. I offered to throw some guitar tracks down for them...I got pelted with empty pop cans...

They have no guitar player. It limits them in some respects, but it also makes for some cool tunes that don't rely on power chords for the basis of the song.:D

H2oskiphil,

That's a great tune! :)

I like the feel of this. I kind of reminds me of the Guess Who and their vocalist, Burton Cummings. I hear a lot of that influence in the music and I loved the Guess Who.

Recording wise, everything seems pretty well balanced with the exception of the vocal perhaps being a little too out front, ahead of the rest of the band.

It kind of sounds like the vocalist was eating the microphone during his take and it really puts him in a different light compared to the focus of the other players.

Overall, it's a solid recording and mix of a good, strong song.

Cheers! :)

Very well done production-wise.

I guess I'm in the minority on the vocalist, maybe it wasn't his tempo, or the wrong key for him. Don't get me wrong, he has a great sound and range, but something about the song didn't exactly compliment his style.

Or maybe I'm finding fault on account of they don't find use of guitars...

I thought the vocals were nice, he does have a nice range and sound. The sax is cool. Interesting there's no guitar as it's so common in popular north american music! Great mix as well!

A remix!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm flattered.

A couple of people have noted that the vocals are a little "hot" in relation to the rest of the mix. I tweaked things just a little, added some verb to the whole mix, and brought the keys up a little (but I kept the original mix as a separate file...).

Adding the verb seems to have put a little extra "sheen" on the whole thing...does this version sound better, worse, or just different?

"Think Back", redux...

Great song, loved the vibe. I have the same comment about the vocal, it seems a little too much out front.

I`m with John, I think the piano up would take care of the vox appearing hot. Bring that bass up teeny tad with it. drums are already there. Nice stuff bud...

Back