What's the challenge deadline/have a listen please?

Jagular

I hadn't entertained the idea of doing a cover of other folks songs because I've been so damn busy and have barely had any time to work on my own stuff. However, there have been a few songs here lately that have touched me and I was thinking about taking a quick stab at one or a couple of them. Are late entries ok? ? :D

Second, I just recorded scratch vocal and guitar tracks for my song "Miss Her So" so I can start building it. Some of you may have heard it already, but if you would bother listening again I would appreciate it. I'm specifically interested on what the guitar sounds like (playing is a little loose yet but I'm interested in the sound rather than the proficency of the player :D). I mic'd the guitar differently. It may sound like complete ass as I have only heard it on my computer speakers and haven't put it through the "listen in the car" test. :D.

Any other comments are welcome as well if you haven't yet heard the song. Thanks in in advance.

Miss Her So

The guitars sound great...how did you mic them? (It's more the playing than the mic placement, however!).

I enjoy this song...burned a copy onto cd when you posted the earlier version.

Thanks...Bob OC

BobOC said:
The guitars sound great...how did you mic them? (It's more the playing than the mic placement, however!).

I enjoy this song...burned a copy onto cd when you posted the earlier version.

Thanks...Bob OC

Well...mic placement...I have been bemoaning the fact that my Ovation Celeb. sounds so thin. Since I knew absolutely dick about mic placement when I first started here, and combining that with hearing people talk about how boomy thier Martins sound :rolleyes::D and the fix for that being not pointing the mic directly at the sound hole and moving it away a bit, I figured I would try an experiment. I moved my mic right up in one of the damn sound holes to see if I could gain anything with the proximity effect.

Incidentally my mic is a AKG C 535 EB in case anyone else has any mic placement advice. And yes that is my only mic :D.

And thanks for the compliment Bob. :D

I listened to this on 20/20's but lofi mind ya, so i'm not hearing it the best way. Thought the guitar sounded pretty good though. What reverb are you using if any? Vocals are great sounding..you got a really great voice for this type stuff. Finish it!:D , thanks for the listen.

Last edited:
....man im getting sooooo sick of everyone getting these GREAT GUITAR sounds....:D.. you have a great voice ..ive said that before ..this just makes the case a bit more....nice songwriting as well....."that i just cant see" ..ok that one seems contrived...but as a whole i love the song.....the whisper line.....nice!...

"if theres a toll road to heavan....her loves paid that in full.."..sorry that just seemed to fit better...or something along those lines.....

ill expect some sort of compensation for that....:D:D:D

very nice.
jamal

man, those guitars sound GREAT...really.....

the song is really nice too....you should get a few snags with this one from the publishers :)

btw, i think today or tomorrow is the last official day to submit to the challenge, but that shouldnt stop ya from doing a cover.....its been done before outside of the challenge and im sure it will be done again.....

again, im listening on comp speaker's:rolleyes: git's sound real good to me!!! very full, not thin at all. nice song too. luvin your voice!!!!!!! nice ttwwwaanngggg!:D

Thank's , jag!

Peace

Rick

finish the song already!!!!;) :D

Jagular said:
Well...mic placement...I have been bemoaning the fact that my Ovation Celeb. sounds so thin. Since I knew absolutely dick about mic placement when I first started here, and combining that with hearing people talk about how boomy thier Martins sound :rolleyes::D and the fix for that being not pointing the mic directly at the sound hole and moving it away a bit, I figured I would try an experiment. I moved my mic right up in one of the damn sound holes to see if I could gain anything with the proximity effect.

Just goes to show you, there really are very few hard & fast rules when it comes to mic choice/placement.

The guitars sound good, although a bit thick. Very up front, which works well on this tune. If you had more going on in there you'd probably have to lose some of those low mids for 'em to sit well.

Nice tune John!

Guitars sound really good,you asked for opinions on the sound.

I think you would be better served with it done stereo,or even mono, instead of doubled,especially if your going to add other instruments.
Another idea is to do the picking in stereo,then the strumming in the chorus doubled,really builds that way with just the acoustic.

The playing is definitly good enough to carry it,but the picking is pretty intricate.
For doubling it has to be really tight to sound right,might be tough to pull off?
Just my humble opinion.:D

This is a really fine song,all the way around.
Looking foward to more!

Pete

Nice job on this. Loved both your voice and the guitar playing. So you have one of those Ovations with lots of little sound holes? I thought this was a really unique sounding guitar. I dug it! Good song too. I kinda liked Jamal's line suggestion too. Worth a try.

Challenge deadline? Supposed to be the 10th, but who really cares?!:D

David - Thanks I appreciate it. I just burned the scratch tracks to cd (along with scratch tracks for another song, which I'll wait a few days to share with y'all :D) so they will get the "listen in the car" test tomorrow.

Jamal - Thanks for the comment about the guitar sound. I guess the consensus seems to be that it sounds alright, though I still haven't given it the test yet (see above :D). Your lyric idea sounds pretty good. I just might use it (need to work it in my head a little). I have about $15 bucks in my pocket. Will that cover it? :D

Gidge - Thanks…I should be so lucky ;) :D. I'm going to try to build several songs that I think are good up and start hitting the bricks again here sometime in the next several months (I still need to write some though ;) :D).

Fenderlikingood - Thanks for the compliment man…I appreciate it. A fuller sound is what I was going for. I used to use the DI sound along with the mic sound to help get it a little fuller sounding (actually the DI doesn't sound all that bad on this) but I'm trying to bring the quality of the sound up as much as possible.

M.Brane - Yeah…I think I'm the first person here that ever told their sound hole to swallow the mic..lol. The never ending process of trying to get your crap equipment to sound halfway decent :D. I'm with you on the thick part. I'll keep that tip in mind when I get to adding more instruments. Thanks.

Muzeman - Thanks. Good tip. Can't do stereo 'cause I only have one mic :( (great idea none the less). I used (actually I did it once on the first and only song I have seriously tried to mix to date :D) to pan the DI and mic L & R and then eq them differently which kind of gave an interesting stereo interplay. Hmmmm…might have to dig that one up again :D or do the mono thing. The picking definitely needs to get a lot tighter to pull the doubling off and my chops just ain't what they used to be :(. Thanks for the compliment and advice…both are much appreciated.

Crawdad - Yup…I have the Holy Ovation ;) :D:D…Thanks for the compliment. I'm hoping to get both (guitar & voice) tighter by the time it's done (especially the guitar). I offered Jamal about $12.50 ;), not sure if he's up for the offer… now where did I put that $10 anyway. To hell with the deadlines I say ;):D:D

Back