Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the challenge deadline/have a listen please?

Thanks

What's the challenge deadline/have a listen please?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I hadn't entertained the idea of doing a cover of other folks songs because I've been so damn busy and have barely had any time to work on my own stuff. However, there have been a few songs here lately that have touched me and I was thinking about taking a quick stab at one or a couple of them. Are late entries ok? ?

Second, I just recorded scratch vocal and guitar tracks for my song "Miss Her So" so I can start building it. Some of you may have heard it already, but if you would bother listening again I would appreciate it. I'm specifically interested on what the guitar sounds like (playing is a little loose yet but I'm interested in the sound rather than the proficency of the player ). I mic'd the guitar differently. It may sound like complete ass as I have only heard it on my computer speakers and haven't put it through the "listen in the car" test. .

Any other comments are welcome as well if you haven't yet heard the song. Thanks in in advance.

Miss Her So
    John

Thanks
    The guitars sound great...how did you mic them? (It's more the playing than the mic placement, however!).

I enjoy this song...burned a copy onto cd when you posted the earlier version.

Thanks...Bob OC

Thanks
    Originally posted by BobOC
    The guitars sound great...how did you mic them? (It's more the playing than the mic placement, however!).

I enjoy this song...burned a copy onto cd when you posted the earlier version.

Thanks...Bob OC
    Well...mic placement...I have been bemoaning the fact that my Ovation Celeb. sounds so thin. Since I knew absolutely dick about mic placement when I first started here, and combining that with hearing people talk about how boomy thier Martins sound and the fix for that being not pointing the mic directly at the sound hole and moving it away a bit, I figured I would try an experiment. I moved my mic right up in one of the damn sound holes to see if I could gain anything with the proximity effect.

Incidentally my mic is a AKG C 535 EB in case anyone else has any mic placement advice. And yes that is my only mic .

And thanks for the compliment Bob.
    John

Thanks

Thumbs up

I listened to this on 20/20's but lofi mind ya, so i'm not hearing it the best way. Thought the guitar sounded pretty good though. What reverb are you using if any? Vocals are great sounding..you got a really great voice for this type stuff. Finish it! , thanks for the listen.
    Last edited by David; 03-09-2003 at 14:58.

Thanks
    ....man im getting sooooo sick of everyone getting these GREAT GUITAR sounds...... you have a great voice ..ive said that before ..this just makes the case a bit more....nice songwriting as well....."that i just cant see" ..ok that one seems contrived...but as a whole i love the song.....the whisper line.....nice!...

"if theres a toll road to heavan....her loves paid that in full.."..sorry that just seemed to fit better...or something along those lines.....

ill expect some sort of compensation for that....

very nice.
    jamal

Thanks

Cool

man, those guitars sound GREAT...really.....

the song is really nice too....you should get a few snags with this one from the publishers

btw, i think today or tomorrow is the last official day to submit to the challenge, but that shouldnt stop ya from doing a cover.....its been done before outside of the challenge and im sure it will be done again.....

Thanks

Thumbs up

again, im listening on comp speaker's git's sound real good to me!!! very full, not thin at all. nice song too. luvin your voice!!!!!!! nice ttwwwaanngggg!

Thank's , jag!

Peace

Rick

finish the song already!!!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jagular
    Well...mic placement...I have been bemoaning the fact that my Ovation Celeb. sounds so thin. Since I knew absolutely dick about mic placement when I first started here, and combining that with hearing people talk about how boomy thier Martins sound and the fix for that being not pointing the mic directly at the sound hole and moving it away a bit, I figured I would try an experiment. I moved my mic right up in one of the damn sound holes to see if I could gain anything with the proximity effect.
    Just goes to show you, there really are very few hard & fast rules when it comes to mic choice/placement.

The guitars sound good, although a bit thick. Very up front, which works well on this tune. If you had more going on in there you'd probably have to lose some of those low mids for 'em to sit well.

Thanks

Smile

Nice tune John!

Guitars sound really good,you asked for opinions on the sound.

I think you would be better served with it done stereo,or even mono, instead of doubled,especially if your going to add other instruments.
    Another idea is to do the picking in stereo,then the strumming in the chorus doubled,really builds that way with just the acoustic.

The playing is definitly good enough to carry it,but the picking is pretty intricate.
    For doubling it has to be really tight to sound right,might be tough to pull off?
    Just my humble opinion.

This is a really fine song,all the way around.
    Looking foward to more!

Pete
    Pete

Thanks
    Nice job on this. Loved both your voice and the guitar playing. So you have one of those Ovations with lots of little sound holes? I thought this was a really unique sounding guitar. I dug it! Good song too. I kinda liked Jamal's line suggestion too. Worth a try.

Challenge deadline? Supposed to be the 10th, but who really cares?!

Thread Information