Whatcha Gonna Do?

Catchy tune there man. I'm listening on pc speakers so anything mixing wise...well you know. I think I would lose the lead lines in the intro..or get them in shape a little better. I liked the vocals in this, but they sometimes seem a little hurried. Other wise I like this man.

Excellent tune. Very catchy chorus. You do have a few things to drop back and punt on though. The lead guitar is out of tune especially at the beginning. Also for the most part the vocal is cool but in just a few spots you have some intonation problems, like you're really "reaching" for notes. Not being harsh my friend, you have a pretty cool tune here and it deserves the next level, ya know what I mean?

Hey man, liked the tune (as always). Tune your freaking lead guitar, LOL.

I thought your vocals were good. This one's SCREAMING for backups. The ones at the end sounded really good. I'd like some more.

I thought the fake drums sounded good.

Stay weird,
Chris

Hey Powder,
I agree, strong song. Yeah, man.... tune up that guit:) The verse reminds me a bit of that Avril song..... You could really aid the areas where the vocals get thin by doubling them. It'll add support and you wont sound like youre working so hard. A few harmonies in those areas would be nice too. Speaking of vocals, this would be a great song for a HUGE chorus, imo. Nice tune man, .....oh, one last thing, during that chorus at the end, Let that bass roll through it without the stops...... keep it big!
just mho

Nice stuff powder........ LOTSA potential here!!

g

good tune.. I like the sound of these drums, but some of the cymbals were strange..

sounds like a guitar is out of tune.. you should throw some more of those backups in there too, they added a lot..

the out of tune guitar is hurting this thing badly, but the tune is good..

David, i lost the lead lines at the beginning and i think that it helps quite a bit.......they just didn't fit stylisticly.......and they were out of tune...........thanks for listening

Track Rat, i nixed the intro lead as opposed to rerecording......i don't think it lost anything by just leaving it out........i know what you mean about those reaching parts........i would assume that you're talking about the last two sections of the second verse.....the recording you guys heard was my first ever time to sing that section at full volume (i just wrote the song, and didn't even sing it until then), and i'm going to go back and see if i can patch it up there........i like the choruses, but i think i'm going to retrack all the verse stuff

Chris, no need to tune the lead guitar when you can just remove it ..........yeah, i just pulled that intro part out and i think it's sounding better.........i'm gonna look into adding backups on the choruses............

Guernica, good call on the bass......i retracked the bass in all the chorus parts and i think it helped......i'm gonna redo all the verses (they were both first takes, done seperately) and maybe add some harmonies too..........any ideas for achieving a huge chorus? it's a tough thing to get to come through on record w/o just adding volume........harmonies?

So, i took out the weak intro lead and fixed up the bass parts on the chorus............here's the link

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists...d=1642&alid=154

I liked the lyric and it's very catchy. It does sound like you are struggling for some of the notes though.

I noticed the guitar out of tune as well.

Nice job overall. Especially for a quicky.

nice tune-I like the way it builds adding stuff as it goes. I like your vocal quality-good melody....really good everything :)-no complaints from me-I hate you guys with your perfect sounding programmed drums:(....On second listen---sounds like you could ride the ld voc at times---during the first chorus-and the end chorus ride out for example. Great tune -nice sound!

Hey Powder,
.....Glad youre gonna take this great song where it should be. Bravo!! If i were you, I would go to the areas in the verses that get strained, and try to sync up two exact doubles as best you can sing em. Lay one of the doubles back a bit for "support", then add a nice harmony line that you can reach easily. The strained parts were in kind of a B section anyway, so a nice haromony line there will add to dynamics.
For a big chorus, transpose the melody to 3rds and fifths, then do as many tracks as you can in as many octaves as you can....... assemble what you have and play with it. A nice arrangement of your choice of dominant harmonies will make the chorus "sing" w/ the song. You can vary which harmonys are dominant by adjusting the levels as the chorus plays back..... (really fun when youre stoned :D ) add what you need to tighten the parts up (compression, verb/chorus, eq as nec....... you know) I guess my point is, record ALOT of vocal harmony's for the Chorus..... You'll be surprised w/ the results.
.........all previously mentioned recommendations are IMHO, and not to be taken too seriously or while driving heavy equiptment:cool:

g

pf,

drums do sound good... w/exception of the snare... too much hype in the uppers (EQ)... other than that, excellent. (Something I should work on in my OWN mixes... doing a big-sounding snare w/out shelving above 8k)

The toms sound exceptional, and the kick is huge... esp. if they are samples. Cymbals sound good too.

You must've removed the out of tune guitar in the opening... sounds like a Tele... (prolly wrong on that)...

Good song; your recording skills have improved quite a bit... compare this to "Irish Coffee" for instance... very cool.

Vocals have that character your other stuff did--not exactly on every note, but it works in the context of a song.

Overall... the only thing bothering me at this point in the mix would be the haze created by a shelving EQ on the snare and/or cymbals... (what it SOUNDS like, anyway)...

Nice job!

Chad

Sennheiser, thanks for listening, i removed the out of tune guitar

Stratomaster, thanks for listening........i'd love a real drummer......i think i might have a band started up again soon......so problem will be fixed.......then on to mixing real drums again.....

Guernica, alright, i put up a new mix with some of your suggestions........i re-did all the verse vocals, and doubled that part in the second verse.......i also added some chorus harmonies, one low and one high.......the low one isn't that dominant though........do you think i need more harmonies on the chorus still? what do you think of the changes?

participant , thanks for the improved mixing comment, i've really been working on it, and i appreciate the compliment.......it's really a compliment to all you guys who help so much, because i didn't no shit before i started posting here, and have improved my skills quite a bit in only a few months..........anyhow, i get what you are saying about the haze....how do i try to attack this problem? eq? where? any tips?

the new mix:
- new verse vocals
-added harmonies

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

excellent song. i really like the buildup and the finish is very strong. your voice sounds real good.

the vocal recording struck me as very good as well. what's going on there as far as mic's preamps etc?

drums sound great, especially when they first come in. bass drum is excellent. that thing really has some punch.

didn't like the hard panned guitar in the beginning of the song. notes were fine, just the panning that bugged me.

in generally your singing does sound a little like you simply need to get more comfortable with the song. that takes time i think, so we'll wait.

real good tune man. what was you playing your guitar through?
where the drums real? it was hard to tell, but the sound awsome!
advice: bring the vocal down some. great tune!

zeke

erichenryus, for the vocals i run a marshall mxl v93 into a behringer mixer, and then into my m-audio delta card.....i know what you're talking about w/ the panning of the guitar, i need to work that out.....at first there was a lead line that kind of balanced it out, but when i removed it, it seems like the guitar needs to be centered until it kicks in.........i'll mess around with that.....thanks for listening

Zeke, i play through marshall amps and mic them with an sm-58 (don't have a 57)......the drums are samples on this one...i agree that when i remixed the vocals went up a touch too much.....i'm going to fix that, thanks

THIS ONE HAD BETTER FREAKIN' WORK!!

This poor site. I'm beginning to lose hope. Okay, I've tried to write in here about 4 times, and it won't let me. Your thread hates me. And the best part is, when I hit the "back" to get the text...my browser gives me the following error:

"HEY DIPSHIT, TRY AGAIN. TYPE IT ALL IN, AND MAYBE I'LL LET IT GO THROUGH THIS TIME."

2 quick comments. First, I liked the lead git line that you originally had in the intro, it was just out of tune. I think it needs to come back, both for balance and to make the intro not seem quite so redundant. That sounds like a shitty comment; it's not intended to be, it just needs a change, and you had the right idea from the get go...just a tuning problem.

Zeke might be on to something with the vocal, but DON'T TURN IT DOWN; in some places (not all) it smacks you in the face b/c it just sounds dry. Verb that puppy up just a bit...don't be scared of reverb...it is our friend; all effects are our friends. The vocal sounds PERFECT right at the beginning...all the verses, actually...but I might try to wet them up a bit for the choruses...I think it helps to glue the vox together to use more just in the choruses. Yeah, they sound really good during the verses...just find one of those cakewalk preset verbs that sounds TOO wet when you're listening to the vocal solo, and try that on the choruses.

Still a kick-ass song man.
Chris

I listened to both versions. Definite improvement in the second. Added some verb to the vox? Good song - I liked it. I liked the sound of the crunch guitar. The clean part that comes in first at 1:03 was a nice effect.

I would work on the harmonies a bit. They're not tight yet. A little pitch problem here and there. They're real good parts - if they're real tight and on pitch, they will kick butt.

The section from 2:03 to 2:20 had some out of sync vocals. The lead vocal begining at about 3:50 sounds overly strained. It sounds as if it was the 30th take or so and your throat couldn't handle it anymore

If it were my song, I work on the vocal performance things. The material is certainly good.

sounds better, but you took out the intro guitar.. things sound better for the most part, but I liked the intro solo.. (except for the out of tuneness) It sounds like you left the same solo that comes later, and I still hear some slight out of tuneness.. the vocals get a little hot in some spots, but there is an overall improvement.

when the song ends, and the feedback starts, you can really hear the guitar that is out of tune.. maybe one more version will nail it down, and tighten up the vox a bit..

cool..

Back