What Once Were Lemmings...(are now all bones...)

queepy

aka Variaxman
Here is another tune I have been working on at the same time as "Motor City Blues"...complete opposite ends of the spectrum musically,....On this song, I embraced my nasally whiny vocal tendencies and attempted to exploit them rather then try to hide them. It's a pretty dense mix so wondering how it's sounding on this 1st mix....

Streaming:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6301046&q=hi

Cool song, and that is one dense mix-one heck of a wall of sound! It reminds me of Peter Gabriel era Genesis-the instrumentation as well as the vocals. I enjoyed the listen a lot and have no nits that I can hear.:)

It's a pretty dense mix so wondering how it's sounding on this 1st mix....

]

Decent. You are correct that it is very dense. I suppose I would boost the main vocals, but I always like vox front and center.

I would try to pan this wider if even possible.:confused: Its too much in one frequency range, and maybe creative panning might give it the clarity it needs. The "talk" vocals can be louder too.

Its a cool song, good vibe.:cool:

This is a cool song. Yeah, I'd bring the vocals a little or better define them. the lyrics are good (real good), you should bring them out.

Cheers,

I think this is brilliant. I had to listen to the song a few times to get the sensibility of the bass. But then I found myself being a lemming. I thought the drums were very good and the snare had a super meaty resonance. The vocals sounded a little thin and not loud enough for these great lyrics.

I'm not much of an engineer, but somebody here might be able to suggest a way to clone the vocals and compress the hell out of them and turn them way up front and center in your face.

Yes, a wider stereo field would also enhance this cool tune. Great job!:D

Cool tune man....vocals could come up in the mix a bit, and maybe if you thinned the bass out just a little it won't rumble the bottom quite as much....:confused: ....it seems to be taking alot of space up at times. I think boosting the vox some will make them sit a bit better. Nice guitar tone for this....and again, cool tune. :cool:

Anfontan
Madman at work!
:Cool song, and that is one dense mix-one heck of a wall of sound! It reminds me of Peter Gabriel era Genesis-the instrumentation as well as the vocals. I enjoyed the listen a lot and have no nits that I can hear.

Thanks anfontan, glad ya dug it!!

DavidK : Decent. You are correct that it is very dense. I suppose I would boost the main vocals, but I always like vox front and center.
I would try to pan this wider if even possible. Its too much in one frequency range, and maybe creative panning might give it the clarity it needs. The "talk" vocals can be louder too.
Its a cool song, good vibe.

Agree David, I have not done anything eq wise with guitars or bass...I think there is a lot of sludge from both of those...that will be the next area I tackle....thanks for commenting!

Chili : This is a cool song. Yeah, I'd bring the vocals a little or better define them. the lyrics are good (real good), you should bring them out.
Cheers,

Thanks chili, I will work on cleaning up those vocals.....

Xeries : I think this is brilliant. I had to listen to the song a few times to get the sensibility of the bass. But then I found myself being a lemming. I thought the drums were very good and the snare had a super meaty resonance. The vocals sounded a little thin and not loud enough for these great lyrics.
I'm not much of an engineer, but somebody here might be able to suggest a way to clone the vocals and compress the hell out of them and turn them way up front and center in your face.
Yes, a wider stereo field would also enhance this cool tune. Great job!

Thanks Xeries! I have 2 tracks of bass guitar and they are pretty jacked up :cool:...gonna work on thinning the sludge from them....for the snare drum on the chorus, I kinda was going for the feel of the old Wings tune "Let 'Em In", were there is like a fife and drum marching feel...the snare loops are from drumatic...and the main drum loops are from drag and drop drummer, industrial disco or something like that...will try your suggestions..thanks again!!

Dogman : Cool tune man....vocals could come up in the mix a bit, and maybe if you thinned the bass out just a little it won't rumble the bottom quite as much.... ....it seems to be taking alot of space up at times. I think boosting the vox some will make them sit a bit better. Nice guitar tone for this....and again, cool tune.

Noted on the bass, I will fix it. I used my Variax for all the guitars on this...I used a virtual tuning preset I have for the QOTSA song "No One Knows"...not sure exactly what it is off hand...I think it's dropped down to C or something like that...I like the grungy droning vibe it has! I really dig those "classic" plugins you suggested on one of my other tunes....really helps me to polish 'dem turds :p!!

Back