What I Want Remix

TripleM

I don't know if it's bad form to have two active threads on the same song or not. Flame me if it is. If you listened and commented before and don't want to bother again - I certainly understand. Please ignore this thread.

Anyway, I did a little remixing on What I Want. Is is at least marginally better? The vox should be a little clearer. But it still lacks the body of a commercial release. God I hope that Delta does better than my SoundBlaster.

OK I'll stop rambling...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/marshamarshamarsha/singles

"What I Want."

P.S., I missed some thank you's on the other thread.

Lt. Bob, Jagular, VOXVENDOR, crawdad. Thank you for listening. I appreciate your compliments and helpful comments. You should have the freshest reference for a re-critique (hint hint) :D:D:D

definetely better-I could pick out the words better-The drums sounded clearer and more seperated-and there seemed to be a touch of high end that was missing on the last version. Err in my opinion that is....

Better. Much better. Still seems like some of the mids from the vox are fighting the bass & gtrs.

Are you cutting anything w/EQ on voice? Have you compressed bass at all? Might be worth a shot. The 150-180Hz area on bass seems a little heavy. May want to try a shallow dip around 600-800Hz on guitars for benefit of the vocals.

The BGVs could use some heavy compression (IMO) which would give better support to the main vocal w/out having to mess with the levels much.

Overall I'd say this is a big improvement. Clarity is better. Lyrics are much easier to make out. Bass tone is good, and other than it being "uneven" in level, it's great.

yes ALOT BETTER i can hear the vocals tons better now....now on to the rest ....do you add effects AFTER you track??...if so can you take all that reverb or whatever is on your vocal track??...man its WAAAAAAY better now..but maybe thats part of the problem,...i do the same thing myself drench all the vocals in effects ...and catch hell for it all the time.......just a thought.

jamal

Strato - you picked things out correctly. I did a boost in the high-mids which gives the clarity the improvement you're hearing.

participant - glad to see I'm moving in the right direction. The only vocal EQ cut I made was at around 8K to get rid of some sibalance. I compressed the bass a small amount. I did an EQ boost on the bass at 800 to get some articulation on the attack. Maybe just leaving it alone would be better.

Jamal - thanks man. There is a bit of reverb on the vocals - maybe too much for you? Some of that effect is due to the stereo delay. I didn't hear back - are you doing drums? Personally I'm not sure the mix is worth your effort. I swear my next one will be improved.

Doug and Powder - thanks for a second listen. I appreciate both of you taking the time to help.

it sounds better..

"I want a drummer that plays like a metronome" another great line.. so simple yet so effective. :)

it still sounds strange to me, but it's not too bad.. Almost like an old 70's 8- track tape player.. It could work.. I would like to hear the vocals dryer, but consider the source on that comment..

as long as each remix is better, what more could someone ask for?

the remix is better, and the song has burnt another pin hole in my brain..

All agreed it sounds better - but there is still some low-fi component to it. I'm going to point my finger at the rhythm guitar. It sounds muffled. No brightness. I'd be curious to hear this song without the guitar track for comparison purposes. The drums sound strange as well.

I took the liberty of converting your MP3 back to a wave file and viewed it in Cakewalk. There's no dynamics to it at all. Looks like you might have done some heavy limiting followed by normalization (?). That, or compressed the hell out of it. Not sure if that may be adding to the low-fi aspect.

Love the tune though.

BPOCO

I listen to a couple of your songs. Can't comment mixwise (56k lofi) but the tunes are definitely fun to listen to. sweet shiot holms.

I'll jump on the sounds better bandwagon.

There is still kind of (as someone said above) a kind of strange low-fi sound to it. The vox are coming out a lot better which is awesome because there are some killer lyrics in this song.

I really like this song... I think more each time hear it :D

Definantly has a 70's vibe to it. Some cool lyrics. There is a low fi sound to it. The vocals could be more clearer. I didnt hear the first mix so I will leave the mix comments to those who have.
The song does ring thru my head.
Myx

Sam - thank you again. I think on the next tune I'm going to forget Ozone completely and see what happens.

bpoco - I compressed this pretty heavily. I wanted to see how loud I could get it. I know people don't really like that around here, but I wanted to experiment. I think a lot of the lo-fi sound comes from too much supressing of the mids. Thanks for the effort.

mbuster - thanks for listening.

Jagular - I'm glad you like the song. One day there will be a version of it that sounds better.

Myx62 - I'm glad you like the song too.

It's a little easier to catch the lyrics...it's also still a great song...it'll get bigger and cleaner with a new card, I bet. Keep taking your time on lyrics...I enjoy the hell out of that.

Back