What Have We Learned So Far??

chrisharris

King of Bling
Provocotive thread title, eh?

www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"Master Test"

Okay, here's the deal. My tune for the "dry" challenge seemed to go over better than, well...anything I've ever posted, and it got me to wondering if it was the song, the recording, or just the fact that I ditched the Autotune for a change. Doesn't matter, I guess, but I set up a file because, SONICALLY SPEAKING, I wanna' know if I usually go awry somewhere in the "mastering process"

So there's an mp3 up on my NWR site called "MASTER TEST" that has 4 identical parts of the tune, all "mastered" with varying degrees of limiting, compression, and/or EQ.

The first 1/4 is the dry track.
The 2nd 1/4 is something else
The 3rd 1/4 is something else
The last 1/4 is something else

:D

If you know your shit, lol...Please help me. This has been a great exercise up to this point, and I don't want it to be lost/wasted on me.

"Master Test"

The whole thing's about 3 minutes long, I think. Oh, and it's not totally straight up, b/c the last 3 clips have a (temporary) bassline that I put in for purposes of making this a little more useful to me.

"Master Test"

So, which one sounds "best" to you? I'm not talking about solely subjective taste, either...but which one do you think will translate the best over different systems?

I'm sick of the tune, too...so I understand completely if you skip this one. If I get some opinions, I'll set out what I did to each clip.

Take notes, lmao :D

Thanks if you can,
Chris

[edit]
"Master Test"
:D

is it just me?? or is anyone else experiencing 7kb/sec download's at nowhere? damnit........computer's hate me!:mad: This will be good for me, chris!!!!!! good idea!!!!!!! (and hopefully for you!) HEHE.......be back shortly!

Hmmmmmmmmm, 1 is dry........so we'll leave that out.

I'm listening on a sharp stereo system with the speakers set at head height......EQ set to "flat" and then to "rock" (whatever the hell that mean's!!!!):D and a fairly loud volume

ver.2......This is my pick for "translate's well between eq setting's and system's." instrument's and vox have nice sonic space. When i went from flat to "rock" EQ....it really shined!

ver.3.......vox seem to be more harsh (wish i could say why?) or maybe just to out front. more mud in the mix overall.

ver.4..........vox like ver.3.....lowend frequencies seem to be be clashing a bit more than in ver.3.

I pick 2!!!!!!!! I thought it tasted great and less filling!!!!!!

I have a feeling my ass is about to be handed to me!!!!:confused: :eek: ....but my feeble ear's enjoyed #2 the best!!!!

Thank's for this, chris!!!! It should make for some more enlightening reading.

Peace

Rick

cant download it right now...nowhereradio is at a stand still.ONE kilobyte per second d-load speed on broadband.lmao!

For me I think 4 is the best in compression and limiting but I
dont like the eq, I for me to much top end sounds alittle harsh.

I would like to hear 1 with the same compression and limiting
if any that was used on 4.

Cool...based on your answers, Rick...this really IS going to be enlightening.

...and no, lmao, I don't think anybody's gonna' be "right" or "wrong" about this,...just looking for opinions. Your response was TREMENDOUSLY helpful, and it should make more sense why later.

Thanks for playing, man.

Kramer - cool...try back. Your opinions are actively being fished for with this post, lol.

Herm - thanks...check back later...I'm probably going to try that at some point...but not with no. 1 (it's got no bass, lol).

Chris--I cant get it either--error after 14 minutes. Must be Memorial weekend or something....

Damn!

This reminds me of my dial-up days! Actually, I think my dial up was faster.:rolleyes:

Figures this would happen when Waldo is away.:mad:

It's now down to 459 bytes/sec!:eek:

Attachments

• picture%202.jpg
    picture%202.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 167
I'm monitoring it the best I can with (at best) a 28.8 connection and only 1.5 hours of on time in a day.

It appears that someone is trying to 'game' the charts, and play their songs every 15 seconds or so, thus eating up all the bandwidth on the old lines.

When I get shit onto the new lines this shouldn't happen, and there'll be better prevention mechanisms in place to prevent this from happening.

Unfortuneatly, at this moment, there isn't much I can do to stop the downpour, as obviously whoever is doing it has more bandwidth than I do at the moment!

W.

TheRealWaldo said:
It appears that someone is trying to 'game' the charts, and play their songs every 15 seconds or so, thus eating up all the bandwidth on the old lines.

It appears that "someone" needs to have their IP passed on to some nasty hackers.;)

Thanks for the update W. Damn, that was fast dude. Do you live here? :D

Well...guess you'll know who it is pretty soon. Just look for number one in your pop charts or something. :)

It took 37 minutes but I finally got it d-loaded.LOL.

#1 sounds pretty good.The volume is decent and the EQ isnt overbearing...

#2 now this one sounds really good to my ears.....just enough of a boost in overall volume to give it the oomph needed to make it sound BIG....the EQ sounds really good too....not harsh at all.

#3 This one sounds a little too hot and over compressed or limited or something....It could just be more volume giving it that effect.....sounds a little harsh.

#4 This one sounds like #3 with a little more of whatever #3 has.LOL.

My personal Preference is #2.

That was fun man.LOL

Hey Kramer, you're a champ, man. I've actually got some great questions for this thread, but I'm gonna' wait until those less persistent than you have an opportunity to chime in, lol.

Or, just post in this thread if you wanna' hear it, and I'll speed things up by personally delivering a 32bit version to your house on CD so you can play it on the DVD Player of your choice :D :D :D :D

And Tom...please, for the love of God...EXHALE ALREADY!!!

I find myself actually taking deep breaths whenever I gaze upon the avatar, lol.

Right now, I log in 3 times a day for 30 minutes at a time, so sometimes it'll look like I'm fast, others it'll look slow compared to normal...

I can't wait for NWR4, just wish I had more time to work on it these days... But, gotta survive, so do what I can when I can.

W.

Back