What do you guys think of this mix??

Kerfoot32

Took some advice and went easy on the compression this time. Thanks!

Attachments

• Bellevue mix in progress.mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
First thought was vocals need some control. Especially @ the last heavy part. And maybe some space would be something I would personally add.

Lead guitar track seems in front a bit much. Maybe a bit harsh.

Sounding good tho man. Dig the tune.

Level control. Not performance. That sounds good man.

And space meaning a bit of verb. Maybe a small plate verb. Something subtle.

Hey Kerfoot23,

I've got the cymbal bells poking out a bit in the end.

The main vocals give me a bit of weird vibe here, they sound pitch corrected at times but some notes sound way off.
Do you use correction? If yes, check the notes you corrected to. (Been there, done that...:eatpopcorn: )

The additional vocals are pretty wild in contrast, they stick out a bit.

The lead guitars would benefit from tracking them LOUDER in the room, some speaker/guitar interaction would be cool, but I don't know if this is feasible.
The single not 4/4-guitars round 2mins in are played too hard, you are smashing the pitches sharp.

Really nice picking guitar in the back throughout!
Good, effective arrangement.
Well done!

Typing as I listen

I hear a doubled vocal come in during the verses, but I'd rather hear a harmony. (I now see you have one later in the song, cool. I'd consider making it the second half of each vocal section; that the harmony means the heavy part is coming up. It'd be a nice touch, IMO).

Heavy part is pretty good, though I think the lead guitar is lacking something...maybe drive, maybe delay. Something to make it blend in a little more, as in part of the track. Of course, you want the lead standing out, but I think it stands out too much.

I think the bare kick is too clicky, but it sounds fine in the full sections. The second vocal during the heavy part is really loud, and those two vocals need some level control. The arrangement during the ending isn't very cohesive, in my opinion. Just the way the reverb is, and the perceived closeness of some instruments, and the bare space...all of it adding up isn't really giving the best feel. I know that's not very descriptive. Sorry. I'd have to get in there and see what's going on to understand how to set it up.

How is reverb applied here? Is there one buss for it that all instruments are sent to? Are thee additional spacing elements on the drums, like loud OH or ambient mics? Is anything not getting reverb?

Cool tune though. Blink-ish. Which is good, IMO.

First thought was vocals need some control. Especially @ the last heavy part. And maybe some space would be something I would personally add.

Lead guitar track seems in front a bit much. Maybe a bit harsh.

Sounding good tho man. Dig the tune.

Just read Jimmy's comments. I'm 100% with him about everything.

Hey Kerfoot23,

I've got the cymbal bells poking out a bit in the end.

The main vocals give me a bit of weird vibe here, they sound pitch corrected at times but some notes sound way off.
Do you use correction? If yes, check the notes you corrected to. (Been there, done that...:eatpopcorn: )

The additional vocals are pretty wild in contrast, they stick out a bit.

The lead guitars would benefit from tracking them LOUDER in the room, some speaker/guitar interaction would be cool, but I don't know if this is feasible.
The single not 4/4-guitars round 2mins in are played too hard, you are smashing the pitches sharp.

Really nice picking guitar in the back throughout!
Good, effective arrangement.
Well done!

Thanks man. There is no pitch correction on the vocals. Not sure what you mean about tracking guitars louder. The guitars are DI and I make sure the meter doesnt peak above -12 when tracking. As far as the "wild" additional vocals, is that just a matter of turning them down?

Typing as I listen

I hear a doubled vocal come in during the verses, but I'd rather hear a harmony. (I now see you have one later in the song, cool. I'd consider making it the second half of each vocal section; that the harmony means the heavy part is coming up. It'd be a nice touch, IMO).

Heavy part is pretty good, though I think the lead guitar is lacking something...maybe drive, maybe delay. Something to make it blend in a little more, as in part of the track. Of course, you want the lead standing out, but I think it stands out too much.

I think the bare kick is too clicky, but it sounds fine in the full sections. The second vocal during the heavy part is really loud, and those two vocals need some level control. The arrangement during the ending isn't very cohesive, in my opinion. Just the way the reverb is, and the perceived closeness of some instruments, and the bare space...all of it adding up isn't really giving the best feel. I know that's not very descriptive. Sorry. I'd have to get in there and see what's going on to understand how to set it up.

How is reverb applied here? Is there one buss for it that all instruments are sent to? Are thee additional spacing elements on the drums, like loud OH or ambient mics? Is anything not getting reverb?

Cool tune though. Blink-ish. Which is good, IMO.

I like the advice about adding more harmonies. I'll talk to the band about it. As far as the reverb i have the entire drum buss going to its own verb. The guitar lead is going to a different one. The vocals are going to a different one but its really low. But based on the advice here I'll be adding more vocal verb for sure. There is no room mic.

I'm hearing more verb in Round 2 and it sounds much better. Especially when the band kicks in around :40 - much better.

Hi,

I will respond on the mix, not the mix composition. I have some comments on that if you want them.

Awesome mix - loud and dynamic - that's how I like it. The loudness wars are not over! Only critique I have:

- the snare is a little too dry for my taste - but that is a taste thing
- Kick is a little too click when the song is without most instruments - when all instruments are playing it is ok.

Honestly, a great mix - I would love to have a mix this good!

Back