What do you guys think of this mix?

Hello. I think you could have a good song, but it needs some work. The are some performance problems, such as the clean guitar sounding out of tune, vocals are sometimes out of tune, slight timing issues, etc. I'd fix all that first because those will ruin a song faster than any mix problems. As far as the mixing goes the bass sounds like it has some weird reverb or fx that is making the volume change in a strange way. I'd take that off. The next thing seems to be the balance between elements. During the chorus the guitars and vocals are too loud and they are drowning out the drums. Lastly the vocals sound like the are on top of your track instead of in it. Try high passing it and perhaps also cutting some low mids to make them fit in the mix better. If you find this makes them hard to understand at some points compress them.

If you aren't already choose some reference tracks and compare your mix to them and try to get as close as you can. For example if you use 2 reference tracks and your vocal is louder than both of your references then you probably messed up you mix and need to drop the volume of your vocal. Good luck.

I agree with chandlerhimself's points. Particularly on guitar tuning, timing problems, and the vocal on top of the instruments instead of within them..

Little pop at 1:12.

The one thing I'd add is the harder/faster section is lacking a little in the low end. Needs a more powerful bass.

First thing I noticed is the hiss at the beginning, and never went away. Timing issues abound. Screaming panned to one side didn't help much. Your voice sounds fairly good, as a singing voice. Drums need more definition. Guitars sound okay, but a bit fizzy. Keep at it, man. We all start somewhere, and posting your stuff here can be a bit scary. Keep it up. The first thing I'd do, is find a way to get rid of that hiss. It's everywhere.

Back