"The Werewolf Song" - classic horror story re-told in rock style

GONZO-X

first off, happy halloween folks!

working title: "The Payment"

Werewolf song 2012 eq by BatsBrew on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

this is a brand new version of an older demo i did a few years back.

story:

it's a little ditty about 2 brothers and a lycanthrope.......

it's loosely based on the original wolfman movie, the one where larry talbot gets bitten by the werewolf, and he see's the pentagram in his hand; he knows he's phucked, so he goes to the old gypsy woman who knows about these things, to find a cure, and she basically tells him the only thing for him to do, is to kill himself......
what a bum deal.

anyway, these 2 brothers have been partying all night, drunk as skunks, and one of them staggers out into the moor, and proceeds to meets his maker.

the remaining brother wants revenge, but has sobered up now, and has figured out that he'd better get some kind of ammunition...

....so he goes to see the gypsy-witch, to get some aconite (wolfsbane) and a spell here and a prayer there, and believes that he's well prepared, and he goes out to the moor to get his revenge.

but that's not what he gets......

“The Payment”
Written by RF Gilliland

Nightime, on the moor
drank up all the mead
mist is in the air
full moon, did the deed.

never saw the evil...
that poor ole son of a bitch
felt the claws that gripped his throat
yeah, he was dead without a twitch.

"it's your brother down on the moor,
with his head down at his feet!"

drink the aconite, tonight
toast the witches curse
pray to whoever you believe in
to pass over you the worst

it's your brother on the moor,
with his head down at his feet
and the debt has not been paid in full
will you, your maker, meet?

run into the moor
and see the evil eye
upon you, cast a glance,
and the payment, it is nigh.

it's super cool. the vocals are cool but it'd bring them in the front sometimes. now they are all the time behind the rest and a bit thin. a bit throat-heavy.
the arrangement rocks!

You've got a pretty cool mix going on here. Very unconventional. Kind of a hair/folk metal sound going on.

During some of the lighter parts, it might be worth easing back on the wall-of-vocals and bringing it down to just one.

alright bwstudio, thanks for breaking the ice on this one.....
it IS a throat heavy performance, that's just the way i heard it in my head.
you know, it's the 3rd party, telling this dude his brother is dead, and it's gotta be stressful...
so i kinda sang it that way.

i like the vox setting down into the music bed a bit, especially on this one, because the music itself is providing such a vibe, it has to be more important in the mix, to make the whole vibe happen.

i have experimented with them all over the place!!

LOL

and different panning too, but i mostly brought all the voice closer together in the middle, and in the cans they really sit nice.
over a loud playback in the monitors, they are just right to my tastes, what kind of playback were you using to listen to?

thanks for commenting, i appreciate it!

VomitHatSteve
thanks for listening man, appreciate it!

wall of vocals, edit down, check

i have (2) backup vox, that come and go, sometimes together, sometimes just as one part harmonies.....
i'll go back and re-think that vocal arrangement, see what it sounds like with some of the harmonies out.

i had so much fun cranking this one out.....
and this tune has gone thru a few variations....

at one time, it was like a funeral dirge, with this marching rhythm...
i had banged on our clothes washing machine with a 57 on it, ran it thru some reverb, and it sounding like john bonham on qualuudes!

LOL

but then i added a drum machine....a pretty standard kit sound,
and I just didn't like that.

then i manually played a drum- midi drum track, using keyboards, and triggered superior drums with that...
i kept part of that.

finally, this version, has the acoustic 1st half, then the drums kick in at the end of the spooky part that symbolizes the brother finding the other brother's head out in the moor, and staggering around looking for the werewolf, who is just out of sight, but is watching the brother with great interest.

that frantic lead work at the end, is supposed to signify the werewolf attack on the last brother.
there is some 'shredding' going on.
quite literally!

heheh

here's a shot of the session for the werewolf song:

guitarrig2012sm.jpg

the middle section (the scary middle spooky bridge part) used all these guitars to create all the ambient noises, the feedback in harmony, the psuedo screaming parts...

i've got feedback harmony happening in major and minor key, and they continually overlap each other, to create some tension and dissonance

the main rhythm electric parts were done with the '77 Ibanez artist

Yeah I typically think of you more as a guitarist, but the vocals is what shine in this song to me. Stay to the path, keep off the moores...

thanks for listening robby

that's funny that you think of me more as a guitarist, i see myself more as a singer....
but, that's because i've done singing a lot longer than i've played guitar...
i guess it's just something i never really think about.

back to the wolf...
yes, stay off the moors, and for god's sake, the alpo too!
:D

Back