"We Did it All"...George Massenburg eat ya heart out...

I guess it sounds pretty well produced....

not my cup of earl grey though...

my advice....

sell all your gear and buy an acoustic guitar and a multi-coloured mobile home... maybe a volkswagon camper van...

seriously... i can't really comment on the song cos I don't like the genre
but the mix sounds good...

Same as Al....not my genre, but it sounds well produced but then I'm listening on crappy Sony headphones.

On a side note, I don't think i've ever heard 'nigga' in a song quite that many times before... Would be nice if they'd expand their vocabulary a little bit.

I liked the mix, but it seemed like the clave (or perhaps, lead pipe?) was a little to present at first... Pretty distracting... I'm not sure if it ended up settling into the mix or if I just got acclimated to it...
There was something kinda... I don't know... 'washy' about the kick too... I really didn't have time to analyze it too much as I needed to get to work... It may have been the sound you were looking for, but I'm just more partial to a 'hit you in the chest' kick drum...

I'll try and listen later on and give you a better definition of what I mean...

:)

dope

Sounds pretty damn good to me. Far exceeds most of the hip-hop that gets posted here. Good production and rhymes. My only criticism would be that it needs another verse. That last 1:25 without lyrics just dragged on. I kept waiting for more, but it never came. I would suggest either ending it at 3 min, or adding another verse. Nice work, otherwise.

Maybe roll a little volume off that tick (claves?) sound a bit.
And im not sure exactly where, but theres a 3 or 4k issue somewhere in there.

Overall a nice warm sound though, good job Teach.

thanks....this mix does have some harshness in the mid and upper mids i need to suss it out and try to fix and repost

My only comment is that the backing track sounds flat. It sounds very squashed together, like the singing and the music loop are right on op of each other; no depth to it. As with all modern hip-hop, the low end stickcs out far too much, but that's a function of the genre that I just happen to not agree with. It just sounded flat, like it was all happening on a singel plane, no diemsion. The rhymes were good, not inspired, but far from adolescent. The application of the beat was functional, but again, not inspired. It sounded a little passionless, but that could be due to the flatness of the overall sound. Just my opinion though, and I listen to very little hip hop.

Michael Schinke
Violet Grey

Projbalance said:
My only comment is that the backing track sounds flat. It sounds very squashed together, like the singing and the music loop are right on op of each other; no depth to it. As with all modern hip-hop, the low end stickcs out far too much, but that's a function of the genre that I just happen to not agree with. It just sounded flat, like it was all happening on a singel plane, no diemsion. The rhymes were good, not inspired, but far from adolescent. The application of the beat was functional, but again, not inspired. It sounded a little passionless, but that could be due to the flatness of the overall sound. Just my opinion though, and I listen to very little hip hop.

Michael Schinke
Violet Grey

How would you propose to make it more 3d? less compression? or eq the music loop? or.......

Nice, you made the kick better, but not quite there for my taste in hip hop. I wanna hear a little more click from the kick. The mix works well in my Mackie monitors, but from my weak computer speakers (which are much closer to the average listeners speakers) it sounds boomy and unfocused.

the bassline - musically it works well, but it's not very interesting, sonically. too smooth sounding, you need something to make the mix more aggressive, and I think a harsher, more mid-present tone would make it. Not sure if EQ will do it, I would find a different preset, edit the existing preset, or use some kind of distortion-adding effect. Make 'er growl!!

the orchestra hits? I want them closer, more distinct, but yes, that might come off as biting Master P production a little.

I think the vox are a little sibilant, and need a TINY bit more extended low end, to make 'em sound like big scary mofos.

The hand claps sound very packaged. Do something to them to make them sound more unique.

I personally don't mind the claves levels. I definately wouldn't make them louder, and I suppose a little quieter wouldn't hurt.

And yes, the outro is a little long. Half of that length, at most, would be better.

Try to use panning, careful verb and rolling off highs to create more distance between tracks. If you listen to top notch hip-hop production, they usually succeed in making each little sample and instrument line have it's own distinct region - everything has it's own sonic LAYER. Your mix is a little bit crowded.

What is your setup?

So there's my snottyfaced critique.

Despite that, I like it quite a lot as is, but you can do better! Really good MC, good vocal tone overall, it does everything it NEEDS to do, but not everything it COULD do.

Nice job, mane...

PDXROX said:
everything has it's own sonic LAYER. Your mix is a little bit crowded.

What is your setup?

The separation between tracks on commercial mixes is what baffles me I do use reverb, pan, delay tracks a few samples......argghhhhhh :( I'm thinking i gotta get a lil more liberal with the eq, but that scares me cuz more times then not i'll fukk it more then help it.

My setup for this mix was Samplitude(bunch of plugins)->8 channel benchmark Dacs-> DBX 160xt on drum mult, & RNC on melody buss, to mackie 1402, make up gain thru a-designs MP2r->NTI eq3d back to tape.

As for the outro I did it in memory of old school hip hop where the beat would run giving the audience a chance to freestyle over the beat if they want to.

The mix sounds pretty good on my lil computer speakers fwiw ;)

Back