'Waves' (a rock/metal demo)

loldoaflip

Hey everyone, I've recently finished my first demo of 2013, and it falls under the category of hard rock/metal. The title is "Waves", and I'd appreciate it if you could check it out and give some feedback :)

Waves | SchizoPhobic

The mix isn't perfect, I'm still learning and trying to make good use of what I have.

For a demo it's not bad. I can hear everything so that's a plus. The biggest sore point for me is the drum room. Sounds like you tracked in a garage but the guitars don't have that same space around them.

The drums need work. The bass and guitars don't sound too bad, but the drums need to come up, and have some fx put on them. The song itself is cool, but try using a reference track to get your drums closer to where they need to be. I struggle to make my drums sound good also, so good luck.

Thank you guys for listening :) The drums are definitely the weakest link. My recording room is in a small room in my basement with terrible acoustics, and it's the only place where I can record in my house. So for that reason, I've been struggling with getting a decent drum sound for a few years haha

Also, I record my guitars using GuitarPort rather than micing my amp.

Agree with the above ... but for me, the key issue is that the mix is missing the kind of bottom-end drive and punch I expect to hear from a big, powerful metal track. I want to hear thundering bass underlying all the guitar riffs, so that every 8th note or quarter note thumps me right in the chest. Consider emphasizing some of the lower frequencies of your bass track -- down in the 150 range. And have your bass player play in time with the guitar riff.

Just a thought.

Back