Warning

Bulls Hit

Every now and then I feel the urge to play triplets. And this is that time.
I'm trying to get the synth to groove with the drums. How's the clarity and balance?

(This is the 'club' mix compiled from the grooviest parts of the original arrangement)

Last edited:
I never realized I like triplets so much especially when they're exposed as such by other rhythm parts coming in. As for the mix, there's a difference in reverb on drums vs other parts and I'm not sure if that's intentional. The other thing is I could use a little more of the high end as it sounds like >3k or something is cut. I'm very new to listening with mix in mind so take it for what you will.

The synths are kind of grating when they first start. They sound very close until the drums come in.

I'm not hearing the triplets. What instrument is playing them?

On my headphones, feels like the kick could use some low end. Really love the character of the drums. Cool, unique song.

I love how fat this mix is. The dark and glitchy computer and guitar sounds really made this for me. As soon as the beat kicked in, I was all smiles until the end. Good tune. I like!

I never realized I like triplets so much especially when they're exposed as such by other rhythm parts coming in. As for the mix, there's a difference in reverb on drums vs other parts and I'm not sure if that's intentional. The other thing is I could use a little more of the high end as it sounds like >3k or something is cut. I'm very new to listening with mix in mind so take it for what you will.

Yeah I blended the room mic and parallel compression in and out in different parts so the drum reverb does shift around quite a bit. The contrast is mainly with the synth as everything else is recorded through the mics. Agree the 3K+ region is lacking, I've got back and tried to lift that a bit. Thanks for your observations!

The synths are kind of grating when they first start. They sound very close until the drums come in.

I'm not hearing the triplets. What instrument is playing them?

The synths are supposed to be abrasive an chaotic at the start, then the drums come in and establish some control (but not too much).
The triplets are the tom fills, 3 beats where 2 normally go

On my headphones, feels like the kick could use some low end. Really love the character of the drums. Cool, unique song.

Yeah I did something stupid with the kick track, never noticed and only spotted it after you commented. So thanks for that!

---------- Update ----------

I love how fat this mix is. The dark and glitchy computer and guitar sounds really made this for me. As soon as the beat kicked in, I was all smiles until the end. Good tune. I like!

Hey, glad you like it. Thanks man

I agree the synths, especially in the intro, are a little rough sounding.

I liked everything else. Weird, but still cool. Delays and tremelos were nice.

Generally things sounded cool.

Cool tune, ..Do you have the toms mc’d individually? I’m wondering if you can punch those up with a little more compression. The rest of the kit sounds great .

I agree the synths, especially in the intro, are a little rough sounding.

I liked everything else. Weird, but still cool. Delays and tremelos were nice.

Generally things sounded cool.

Yes I'm dealing with the intro synths, I have a plan. Thanks for listen Trip

Cool tune, ..Do you have the toms mc’d individually? I’m wondering if you can punch those up with a little more compression. The rest of the kit sounds great .

Yes the toms are mic'd so there's options there. I'm starting to experiment more with bringing the room mic in and out as an effect rather than leaving it at a fixed level all the way through. Thanks for the spin

I have been gone a while working on a truck restoration.
i got a buzz goin' and im checking out your tune on my car stereo.
Man, im here to tell you thats a bad ass groove!
great tones and mix too.

i might try to lay down some guitar on it.
You've inspired me!
great recording!

Your mix is very nice.
I approve.
No help here ( sorry) - just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it

Oh, the warbly goodness. Get me some of that bassy kick and my pickle will have been properly thoroughly tickled. For real, cool mix. Like the retro vibes. Favorite is the 1-minute mark; feels like I'm being pulled underwater. Maybe a little too chaotic in some areas but that's just taste. I say that but it's also neccessary as you've pointed out. I do long for more of the bloopy noises though.

I have been gone a while working on a truck restoration.
i got a buzz goin' and im checking out your tune on my car stereo.
Man, im here to tell you thats a bad ass groove!
great tones and mix too.

i might try to lay down some guitar on it.
You've inspired me!
great recording!

Thanks jimi. That would be cool, I'd love to hear what you might do on this

Oh, the warbly goodness. Get me some of that bassy kick and my pickle will have been properly thoroughly tickled. For real, cool mix. Like the retro vibes. Favorite is the 1-minute mark; feels like I'm being pulled underwater. Maybe a little too chaotic in some areas but that's just taste. I say that but it's also neccessary as you've pointed out. I do long for more of the bloopy noises though.

Well, can't say I've been accused of tickling pickles before, but whatever works:D Glad you enjoyed the jam, thanks forthe comments

Back