Warm Enough?

Jake93

Hi guys,

I have a part to an instrumental track that I quite like, however I fear it's lacking warmth. Not that I dislike it though, it's just when I listen to almost any other songs they sound way warmer, almost stifled in comparison. I've tried boosting around the 200-300hz or even adding a rhythm guitar part, given that it's just a bass and lead riff, but this just destroys the wide-openness of the track. Take a listen and see what you think.

Ignore the little intro bit, I accidentally deleted all drum tracks apart from the left overhead, I have them in another file somewhere though, it is not finished.

View attachment Possible Ending 2.mp3

Cheers,

Jake

Drums are killing in the upper midrange and high end. No warmth going on there with that. Harsh as hell would be an understatement.

Tone down the drums before you even think about anything else. There is also no low end on the bass guitar, but can't make that call till the drums are under control.

Yes, but the cymbals are still harsh. So is the main guitar riff. 1 to 2k really on top everywhere.

What are you using for monitors? I'm gonna just guess headphones....

Still hard to judge but nothing is moving the low end yet. If you are using a mastering limiter then that could not be relevant.

Getting closer though. Tame those harsh upper mid and high frequencies and send back another sample. :)

That's definitely an improvement.

I don't know that striving for "warmth" is necessarily what you want to do. The arrangement leaves the "warm" frequencies fairly sparse; most of the melodic work is being handled by mid-to-high range guitars. To add warmth would be to artificially inflate those frequencies, which could probably get cluttered fairly rapidly.

If you can, put the cymbals on a separate track where they aren't being compressed.

yes the cymbals are way too splashy sounding, it sounds too ambient for my tastes, bring in more of the close mics on the kit, EQ the cymbals to take out that harshness.

That's definitely an improvement.

I don't know that striving for "warmth" is necessarily what you want to do. The arrangement leaves the "warm" frequencies fairly sparse; most of the melodic work is being handled by mid-to-high range guitars. To add warmth would be to artificially inflate those frequencies, which could probably get cluttered fairly rapidly.

Yeah I think that too, and I don't really like the 2nd version I posted for that reason. I don't think I can do too much about the harshness of the cymbals without affecting the snare sound, it's a pretty cheap set of condenser mics. We're a post rock instrumental band and I like the ambient sounds. I've gone a bit crazy with this mix View attachment Amongst The Old Growth.mp3, but it's definitely got more bass.

Here are a couple of songs that inspire me for references...

YouTube

YouTube

Um, really?

Sorry but both of those are completely different an IMO sound like crap to me.

I am not even sure what to suggest now if that is what you aspire to accomplish ....

I'm out...

Sorry.

Sounds like you want a MBV type sound combined with post-rock. You're going to have to go with cleaner, sparser drums in a big room and a massive pedal board (more long delays) to get that. Need a higher-fidelity sound, too.

Back