Warm Day

blinder

Well, it has been a very long time since I submitted something here (I used to go by another name -- minusone) and I have been busy with other things, as well as going through this horrible dry period where everything I was recording was just absolute crap. Well, lately things have improved, at least to my own way thinking.

So, I humbly submit this track for your review.

Basic gear run down:
Drums: Clavia ddrum4
Guitar (acoustic) Ibanez 6-string)
Guitar (elec) Les Paul standard
Bass: Washburn acoustic/electric
Mics: AT 3035, Octiva small condensor
Console: Mackie SR 24x4
Recorder: Mackie MDR 24
Elec guitar pre-amp: Roland GP 100
Bass pre-amp: JStation
Mastered using T-Racks standalone

Well, let me know. I know it needs some work. Some kick-drum distortion in the lower freqs. Some timing problems. This is a first pass at this.

sounds great

could use vocals though I think.
The acoustic sounds almost too "in your face"
Bass and electric sound sweet though.
I think the song could be interesting with vocals:)

I disagree with Hevy: I like the upfront sound of the acoustic. But that's a matter of taste I guess. Personally I hate acoustics that are loaded with verb, and you didn't fall for that: great.

I would reconsider your panning though. The pannend electrics and the hard panned toms sound unnatural for me.

Also, you should consider playing on a click track, because it doesn't sound that straight to me.

BrettB said:
I disagree with Hevy: I like the upfront sound of the acoustic. But that's a matter of taste I guess. Personally I hate acoustics that are loaded with verb, and you didn't fall for that: great.

I would reconsider your panning though. The pannend electrics and the hard panned toms sound unnatural for me.

Also, you should consider playing on a click track, because it doesn't sound that straight to me.

First, thanks for listening :)

yeah, the acoustic was double mic'd one with a small cap. condensor at the 12th fret (or there about) and a LDC at the body. I am not a fan of adding reverb to acoustic guitars... i like the dry natural sound of the guitar.

Hmmm... the "hard panned" toms is a screw up in the mastering... in T-Racks you can alter the stereo image in the compression section and I got a little too aggressive with that.

heh, I *did* play to a click track. I always do. But like I said, this was a first pass... and I don't always get it right.

I'm going to be involved in a collaboration and this is probably going to be the first song in the collaboration and because of that I'll be going back through to re-do the drums.

thanks again for listening :)

Re: sounds great

HevyD47Ca said:
could use vocals though I think.
The acoustic sounds almost too "in your face"
Bass and electric sound sweet though.
I think the song could be interesting with vocals:)

Yeah, I'm *trying* to write something for my girlfriend to sing. she loves to sing and has a really pretty voice.

Hmmm... "in your face" I was sort of going for that sound a little. One thing I have considered is backing off on whatever frequence I boosted... i don't remember, and I don't feel like running downstairs to look :)

Yeah, that JStation is great for bass... sucks for guitar if you ask me, but the "british" cab. simulation is great.

Thanks for listening! Your comments are much appreciated!

CyanJaguar said:
cool, emotional instrumental.

I liked it.

yes, i do tend to steer to the emo side of things. I've tried making "happy" songs... but they just come off as totally stupid.

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for listening.

The guitar in the intro sounds 'Lo-Fi' ?

I like what I hear as the guitar cloned and then split equally left and right ... it defines the initial stereo field, good placement.

Bass entrance is fine, sounds good, maybe a touch to aggressive on bass volume levels in the first measure ... could craft more building there ... crashes maybe a bit to loud in the intro, as you are building, as later they are comparitively more controlled.

Drum fill at 00:23 is perfect level.
Rythm guitar, (picking), is great.

Melodic guitar on the right is fine.

buildup is really nice.

As though the sun comes up, and it becomes a moist, warm day. Sleepy, lazy day.

I'm hearing the verse starting around 00:24, sung over the support of that left rythm-picked guitar.

Good mix to add a vocal panned approximately 3%right

Pre-Chorus - 00:44

Chorus - 00:57

Chorus builds to 1:20

Instrumental Break here, breaking down, verse 2 starts at 01:34

01:2:08 Pre-Chorus

02:18 - Chorus ... etc ...

Drum levels are great throughout, cymbal crashes have some flexibility, you could work some a bit louder, to define the structure a bit more.

Now I'm at 3:40 and I hear your throwing the drums left to right, and very effectively, either that's an effect or you really worked hard to do that ... How'd you do that ? I'm guessing cloned the drum track, split it left and right and then put a leslie type effect on both ?

At 4:11, drums back to center fading ... if you could autopan the drums back into the center, WHILE they are fading, instead of such an abrupt pan to center and volume reduction, that might be sweet. Like the iris eye of a camera shutter closing ...

Cool song, I've got some lyrics and melody in mind, along the lines of the theme you suggest with the title.

Thanks for sharing.

Generally a well balanced mix sonically, dynamic without being to loud or to quiet in any part, consistent thematic approach to the mix without ever going crazy ... very nice music, I'll jam ta that !

I think you might really like the band 'Explosions in the sky'

Last edited:
studioviols said:
The guitar in the intro sounds 'Lo-Fi' ?

I like what I hear as the guitar cloned and then split equally left and right ... it defines the initial stereo field, good placement.

Bass entrance is fine, sounds good, maybe a touch to aggressive on bass volume levels in the first measure ... could craft more building there ... crashes maybe a bit to loud in the intro, as you are building, as later they are comparitively more controlled.

Drum fill at 00:23 is perfect level.
Rythm guitar, (picking), is great.

Melodic guitar on the right is fine.

buildup is really nice.

As though the sun comes up, and it becomes a moist, warm day. Sleepy, lazy day.

I'm hearing the verse starting around 00:24, sung over the support of that left rythm-picked guitar.

Good mix to add a vocal panned approximately 3%right

Pre-Chorus - 00:44

Chorus - 00:57

Chorus builds to 1:20

Instrumental Break here, breaking down, verse 2 starts at 01:34

01:2:08 Pre-Chorus

02:18 - Chorus ... etc ...

Drum levels are great throughout, cymbal crashes have some flexibility, you could work some a bit louder, to define the structure a bit more.

Now I'm at 3:40 and I hear your throwing the drums left to right, and very effectively, either that's an effect or you really worked hard to do that ... How'd you do that ? I'm guessing cloned the drum track, split it left and right and then put a leslie type effect on both ?

At 4:11, drums back to center fading ... if you could autopan the drums back into the center, WHILE they are fading, instead of such an abrupt pan to center and volume reduction, that might be sweet. Like the iris eye of a camera shutter closing ...

Cool song, I've got some lyrics and melody in mind, along the lines of the theme you suggest with the title.

Thanks for sharing.

Generally a well balanced mix sonically, dynamic without being to loud or to quiet in any part, consistent thematic approach to the mix without ever going crazy ... very nice music, I'll jam ta that !

I think you might really like the band 'Explosions in the sky'

First off, I just want to say thank you. Thanks for really providing this much detail. This is the kind of thing everyone craves :)

The acoustic guitar was recorded once, but double mic'd, on to two separate tracks, panned hard left/right. I used a small cap. condensor mic at the 12th fret and a LDC (the AT 3035) at the body of the guitar.

The "extra" drum parts were just me playing over with slightly different drum sounds (I have a few "signature series" sounds loaded into the Clavia's ddrum4 brain). I just played a slightly different beat. I need to do it again, because as Brett pointed out, some of it falls off time.

I'll have to check out that band you suggested.

Well, again, thank you for taking the time. Its much appreciated! :)

Qwerty said:
I liked the acoustic sound and I actually liked the drum sound too....

Nice layers!

:) Q.

hey thanks Qwerty! I'm glad you actually liked it!

Clavia does make a pretty decent set of e-drums. Nothing like "real" drums, but close enough (especially when you live in a Townhouse)

Again, thanks for listening!

:D

Back