Wanderlust - would appreciate critiques

scott59

Hi All:

I've been lurking on this site since I first tried recording a few months ago. I've been trying to soak up as much as I can. It's fun being on the steep end of the learning curve.

Based on quality of the recording and songs I've heard here, I should probably get better at this before I ask for a critique. When I've gotten into new hobbies in the past though, I've found the fastest way to improve is to get critiques from knowledgeable strangers (who won't pull punches). I hope to do the same here.

I would appreciate critiques of a song I wrote recently. The title is Wanderlust and it was inspired by a friend who is setting out on her own to see Europe. I'd value comments about any aspect of the song, including recording, mixing, performance, and the song itself. Anything to help me improve...

I play the instruments and do the harmonies. My friend Hillary does the main vocals. The song is the only one up at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/swcampbell_music.htm

Instruments include acoustic guitar, banjo, and harmonica. All other instrument sounds come from an old Yamaha keyboard. Recorded using an MXL 2001 mic and a TASCAM US-122 interface. Mixed in Cubasis.

Many thanks in advance,
Scott

I like the song. Very CSNY. I can't comment much on the mix, as I'm listening on laptop speakers. However, there appear to be some level issues. The lead vocal is a tad too loud, as is the harmonica. Whatever effect you have on the lead vocal is odd (or it may have just been recorded in a bad room) -- sounds very boxy and metallic. That's about my biggest nit. Dig the banjo.

Thanks Scrubs.

I had the vocals compressed with a ratio of 2, added a touch of reverb, and also a chorus effect. After reading your reply, I deactivated them one at a time and it sounds like the chorus effect is the culprit. I'll back it down or shut it off and play with the levels too.

Thanks again for the advice.

Scott

Back