Virtual Fusion Project

Tom Hicks

I have been jammin' with some of the guys from Collaboration Central and we've formed an internet band to play fusion-type music. Here is an original tune just ready for the mix stage.
Any comments on the tune, performances or mix issues appreciated. Its a big DL, so broadband is suggested. Thanks.

http://jol.zapto.org/Collaborations/Fred/tracks/Gypsy_Waltz/Gypsy_Fred_Mix_3.wma

Gypsy Waltz © 2003 Steven Rivera

Steve - keys, composer
Tom - guitars
Fred - drums
Kenny - bass

Well, the DL is not connecting to the server. Almost all of us here use nowhereradio.com , and it is the MP3 Clinic.

My suggestiong is to make this an MP3 and post it on nowhereradio.com ... IF ... you want to increase the number of listens that you get, this is sure fire way to do it.

That will also help your band formation, as the new account at nowhereradio.com , which is free, can be in the band's name.

Some here post MP3 at a quality level as high as 320kbps, and they will get listens, one particular guy is very good though, and well known on the board, you are an unknown here.

I'm just trying to help out here and get you some reviews.

What I'm really interested in here, if you can tell us, is how any revenue is going to be divided amongst the collaborators if anything sells ?

And now that I think about it, it's not really any of my damn business, but it sure would help some of us make some decisions around here, as collaborations are getting very popular on this board.

It's a different kind of fusion than I expected. But very nice, Tom.

The lows are a bit boomy, seems like the lows in the classical guitar interfere with the lows in the bass. There are lots of lows in the kick too. You could start by cutting some of those (I'd say: cut some of the lowest lows of the kick, and some of the low mids of the acoustic guitar....better let the lows come from the bass). Bass guitar could use some more definition in general. The cymbal at the left is a tad too loud.

The sound of the synth solo seems a bit out of place. All those acoustic sounds demand a more acoustic sound, IMO.

The individual tracks sound a bit seperated. Perhaps you can solve it by adding the type of kind of reverb to each track. Just to 'glue' them together.

Like the song and the chords, performance is a bit shaky though(especially the synth solo at the end)

Pedullist said:
It's a different kind of fusion than I expected. But very nice, Tom.

The lows are a bit boomy, seems like the lows in the classical guitar interfere with the lows in the bass. There are lots of lows in the kick too. You could start by cutting some of those (I'd say: cut some of the lowest lows of the kick, and some of the low mids of the acoustic guitar....better let the lows come from the bass). Bass guitar could use some more definition in general. The cymbal at the left is a tad too loud.

The sound of the synth solo seems a bit out of place. All those acoustic sounds demand a more acoustic sound, IMO.

The individual tracks sound a bit seperated. Perhaps you can solve it by adding the type of kind of reverb to each track. Just to 'glue' them together.

Like the song and the chords, performance is a bit shaky though(especially the synth solo at the end)

Thanks for listening.
The drummer is trying his hand at this mix. I have offered several suggestions so far based on my little speakers at work, so I appreciate your comments on the low end freqs clashing. I think the guitar can safely be rolled off 10 dB/octave from about 125 Hz or so to "notch" it into compliance.

The keyboard man is very into an ELP sound. I also would prefer a more acoustic sound for the synth. I was rooting for vibes.

Tom,

your files are big and the download is really slow. this might prevent you from having more listeners

still downloading.....

Al

ok, finally got it.

This piece is brilliant!!! The guitar sounds real good, but could use a bit more high end. Drum sound is a killer, a nice studio sound. But the kick is real powerful tho, I wonder if it has eaten up your dynamics. Anyway, the music is really really good. Steve, the composer, really did a great job writing. Of course, you guys's playing made his writing even better.

Great job

Al

A1A2 said:
ok, finally got it.

This piece is brilliant!!! The guitar sounds real good, but could use a bit more high end. Drum sound is a killer, a nice studio sound. But the kick is real powerful tho, I wonder if it has eaten up your dynamics. Anyway, the music is really really good. Steve, the composer, really did a great job writing. Of course, you guys's playing made his writing even better.

Great job

Al

Al

Thank you for your generous comments.
This mix is coming off the drummer's server. It is slow. I apologise.
I am considering better ways to make the low end seem more transparent without thinning out the low power, likely notching guitar and bass around the kick's fundamental. Your comments are certainly helpful.

Back