VIKING PUNK! - mixing help needed

Polska_77

Hi yall!

some of you might remember me - i used to hang around here quite often some time ago, was away from recording for some time but now back with a bang!

Need your help!

here's a song that will go on split cd with anther band - tell me what you think of the mix and what I can do to improve this shit.

If you are interested in mixin it - i can upload the tracks somewhere - 1 condition i want to know what you did to it if I like it,

heres teh soundclick link:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9413922

Your's truly - the Polish Bastard

Last edited:
Sounds pretty cool. The drums are a bit dark for my likings, but it's not that bad. Everything else sounds pretty good.

seemspretty good, id bring up the snare and the overheads though as the cymbals are hard to hear and sometimes the snare getss drowned out, maybe give it slight boosts around 2.5khz and 200hz, (the snare i mean)

Thanks for the listens you guys!

I will egt to work on this tomorrow, and will take the advice on the snare - see where that takes me. the problems with the overheads is that the HiHat is awfully loud in them so i dont want it drowning out everything else...

as far as uploading tracks im having sme band with problems and will upload the siht at work when i have some fere time.

thanks again for the listens!

new version up top - sunds a little better i think - anyone wants to tear it a new asshole feel free - aleways been here to learn new stuff :)

Good performances. Nice energy in the song.

I thought the guitars in general had to much distortion on them. Dial down the gain a bit when you're recording.

The snare is a little dull. You might be able to notch out something around 180 - 200hz and brighten it up a bit. Not sure though. Drummer was good.

Something about the toms wasn't right. They had a real clickiness to them. You can hear it on the outer edges of the stereo spread whenever the toms are used.

Vocals could probably come up just a little bit.

Sounding good polska :).

Performances are good. I like the drums in particular, but I agree that they are a bit dark (for my taste anyway), particularly the snare. The cymbals however sound fine to me as is...odd. Tons of energy...sounds like fun.

Thanks for the listens - new link up top - compressed the sanre a little to make it stand out a lil more - think it sounds better now. let me know, I might of over did it...

The guitars are the best i can get with my setup - turning the gain down even more (im on 3,5 outta 11) makes them sound thin and i dont like their sound at all.

I play all the intstruments on ths project and do the oooa ooaaaa's so compliments on the performance are really nice - thanks!:cool:

ps - how do i brighten the snare?

since so many people mention it there must be something to it

You can do it via compression by using a semi-long attack (say maybe 50-60 msec) and fairly high amount of gain reduction (5-7db).

You can do it via EQ. Try cutting somewhere in the low to low-mids (150hz-600hz). Or boost somewhere in the high mids (5k - 7k). Or a high shelf. Be careful with any EQ solution. It's easy to fall into a trap of thinking everything you're doing is improving the sound. Often it's not - you're just fooling yourself. Listen to what you're doing and compare it to the snare sound of a mix you like.

The best solution is to retrack with and change things like: the mic, the mic position, the snare drum, the sticks the drummer uses.

Back