Vib ribbon

Sounds good dude! I like the style. You just need help mixing a little. Here are some things I noticed.

The vocals are always so far back in the mix. Just bring the volume up and compress them a little. Watch the pitch too, it goes off here and there. The drums are the same way. Pull them up too.
Sometimes the songs sound a little muddy. Use your EQ wisely my friend! Make sure all of the frequencies sit well together. Make room for every instrument. The bass sounds like it's plugged straight into a mixing board. Basses need pre amps or else they sound farty. (Go the cheap way and use a DI box or a bass Digitech RP pedal straight in. It helps the bass a lot!)

Time for Q and A's

What software do you record with?
What room/type of room do you record in?
How do you mic your drums?
What mic do you use for vocals?

Remember: Constructive criticism may hurt, but it helps a lot in the end. :D

thanks

constructive criticism is always worth it.

What software do you record with? i record with audacity currently
im soon going to upgrade to Cubase or Pro tools

my moms living room haha.

heres the interesting part...
drums, guitar and bass were all recorded live, for these demos. vocals and external guitars were added later as well as some keys.
i had one mic on the kick. one on the snare and one on each tom.
then i mic'd the guitar amp and and bass amp with condenser mics and hit record.... also its all premixed since right now all i have is an alesis mixer the connected usb(1.1) to my computer

an mxl 990

again, thank you

constructive criticism is always worth it.

What software do you record with? i record with audacity currently
im soon going to upgrade to Cubase or Pro tools

my moms living room haha.

heres the interesting part...
drums, guitar and bass were all recorded live, for these demos. vocals and external guitars were added later as well as some keys.
i had one mic on the kick. one on the snare and one on each tom.
then i mic'd the guitar amp and and bass amp with condenser mics and hit record.... also its all premixed since right now all i have is an alesis mixer the connected usb(1.1) to my computer

an mxl 990

again, thank you

Okay, Cool.

I'd recommend Cockos Reaper for a DAW. It does everything you're doing now plus more, and it's cheaper than Cubase and Protools. That's just my opinion though, you should try different DAWs and see which one you find the most comfortable.

As for the drums, I'd advise you use 2 of those mics as overheads. Overheads capture the overall sound of the kit. What I would do is keep the kick and the snare, but take out the tom mics. Play around with them to get a good sound. The drums sound pretty good now, but I think you'd be able to get an even better sound.

Try recording every track separately for the guitar and bass. (not live) If it doesn't work out well, then continue recording live. Recording parts separately allows more of a studio sound (sometimes). This way you can close mic the amps and get a less roomy sound. Same with the bass too.

Vocals: I noticed on your Chinese Fire Drill video that you were REALLY far away from the mic. Get closer and invest in a pop screen. Look up "proximity effect."

That's about it...

I really like your songs. There are a lot of cool guitar riffs. I'll definitely keep your band in mind.

You sound kind of like the band "Brand New." Check them out, I think you'll like them.

Hahaha! What were the chances of that happening? I thought Brand New was underground stuff that only me and my sister listened to.

You've got a good taste in music.

Back