Uploaded new mix from Alpha Beta Base

LeeRosario

Guys,

I just uploaded another mix from the fellas of ABB called "Ash Experiments". Another interesting song, not really in a standard format, which I like.

Anyway, the download will probably be disabled for a few days, so you can play it off the site in the mean time. If you like what you hear and you want to download any of the two songs posted so far, give it a few days.

Check it out here
Lee

Ps.

the song Ash Experiments is suggestive of a love affair (gone sour) between a man and a woman, but really the song is about the lead singer's daughter and a current legal battle for custody. Although if you think about it, it can relate to his relationship with her mother, too. I was given permission to share that info.

By the way, HAPPY EASTER IN A NON PC KINA WAY!

Last edited:
Nice sounds man...Good voice. How'd you record this? How about processing? It sounds dry, in a good way. Not too verby. Nice job on the buildup part. I kept waiting for it to take off, and it went longer than expected...really interesting there. Nice tune.

I think it sounds pretty good. Very clean....

I think it's well mixed, excellent restraint on effects, great vocals. Good band, good song, well engineered and produced. Well done, Lee!

Dogman said:
Nice sounds man...Good voice. How'd you record this? How about processing? It sounds dry, in a good way. Not too verby. Nice job on the buildup part. I kept waiting for it to take off, and it went longer than expected...really interesting there. Nice tune.

I think it sounds pretty good. Very clean....

About time I get some comments! I thought I did a bad job!

I'm not gonna lie, this was a really hard song to go through considering all the evolutions it's been through. The singer wanted to say *alot* more than what we ended up with here. But of course, we could only push that piano loop for so long. The song would of came out to 10 minutes before the edits.

Recording wise was also hard considering it was done at different places. But, enough of that personal storytelling bs, let me answer that directly:

The piano loop is a segment the singer brought from his house. He just gave me the tempo and I loaded up into pro tools. It was actually a sample he conjured up from these old sample disks he used to make. I couldn't say how or what was used to record it, but after listening to about a minute of the track, that piano part stuck out.

So I suggested if he wanted to loop just those few bars and work from there. It ended up being the entire song.

Vocals was a very intimate session at home in my mix room. Very simple gear, just an 002, in which I use the pres from a mackie VLS. Except the room is treated, so I get pretty good sounds in there.

I used this MXL V67 I got (that dreaded green mic that keeps on comming up), but it had been so abused by heat wear and mishandling that it has softened up alot and gives the quality I like to the vocals. I have alot more mics to choose from (that are better), but I dunno, I think this mic really sounds good on this guy's voice. As you guys have kindly pointed out. :)

The vocal FX (subtle) was done by waves morphoder. I beleive the key was in F# major, so I set the morphoder accordingly. Which beleive me was been burnt out on this album. The reasons are and I quote, "dude, it's gotta sound spacey. We like space, therefore, we put out spacey shit."

All the drums you will be hearing as I post new songs where done under one roof. It's really a friend of mine that had a perfect space with a high vaulted ceiling. Plus he uses PT HD with a rack of Big Red pres, so thats pretty much the sound of the drums for the album. Not my favorite choice, but considering the limited budget, you know how that goes.

Drums are pretty standard. A total of 9 mics. One MD421 on the bot snare, one 57 on top snare, 2 Nady CM95s for the overheads, Beta 52 and beta 91 on kick and a CM90 on HH. Toms wherent needed on this one, but I used 2 MD421s on those.

About the verbs, yeah I definitly agree on the dryness! There was a huge fight on this. I like it a bit dry, but the band loves huge reverb sounds. However, since I'm producing it, I was just like,

"guys guys, verb is good, I agree! But too much and you're asking for an a really bad dream sequence to a hippy movie. Plus if you're trying to get local airplay, or internet airplay, whatever, it'll probably be smashed a good amount. So that'll exagerate the verb."

For that I used Rverb, which isn't too bad. I'm always working with Lexicon and TC electronic stuff, but this was one of these mixes that was done inside the box. I just spent a little while hooking up a good setting for all the reverbs. 3 different verbs. If I remember correctly, all the short verb stuff was set up with a room verb (guitars, lead stuff), the long verb was set up with a warm plate (vocals and piano), and drums had there own short plate verb. I originally went with the convolution verb for drums, but lately its been more of a dissapointment than an advantage. Limiting on the parameters you are given.

So what you hear at this point is what everyone settled with. But just know that there was a good fight behind all that!

Guitars and bass have been, for the most part, DI'd during this specific project. Honestly, I miss micing up the cab, but this is the sound that works for these guys, so thats what we decided on.

-You mentioned it was kina long going into the tension part, do you think it was pushed out too far? (just wanna get a feel for your opinion as a listener). Cause like I said, I'm still kina debating that.

It's really supposed to be a short song with a simple message. So we're kind of in this waiting period to see if it works well over time or if we still have to edit a bit more.

I think it's well mixed, excellent restraint on effects, great vocals. Good band, good song, well engineered and produced. Well done, Lee!

you guys don't know how much I appreciate good comments.

But seriously guys, don't be afraid to point out the overall picture if it feels funny or not so attractive! :D

But just to put it out there....

the guys dont care what people think (I know they do), but I'm like the father, so I have to care what people think about my kids. :) I just wanna make sure that people dig it genuinely or if I'm too involved in the project to see any short commings in the presentation.

so feel free to keep any questions or anything that sticks out, whatever be the case :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Lee. I don't really think the buildup is too long, as it's an anticipation builder. The song is not really long, so it keeps your attention, and waiting is kind of cool with this, as it's not a typical song. As a listener, it kept me interested, and sounded fine. Just enough stuff happening to look into each part, but not too busy, and not boring. Had the song been longer, it might have needed more changes, but as is, good job.

Nice mix. Snare might be a bit "boxy" for my tastes, but that's just a personal thing. I'd also like to hear a bit more kik, but again, I'm a drummer, so take it with a grain of salt. Great vocal sound, love the distortion on the lead vox. Not too much, but there. Everything's nice and clear in the mix and this sounds pro. Nice production.

After everything I've learned from your posts in the mixing and recording forums, it's nice to hear that your knowledge isn't only on paper, you can definitely back it up, this sounds great.

Be happy with the resopnse rate - I'm lucky to pull 1/2 doz over a week. You've almost matched that in 1doz hours.
Interesting background - well disguised in the setting.
All previous comments apply.
You record well, very well.
Cheers
rayC

RAMI said:
After everything I've learned from your posts in the mixing and recording forums, it's nice to hear that your knowledge isn't only on paper, you can definitely back it up, this sounds great.

:)

you know whats funny about this. quick story:

I met up with this engineer who's name was Carlos Rodriguez. Cool guy, apparently a big player in salsa mixing (as well as being a bad ass conga player), the whole shabang.

Anyway, he shows me this amazing mix and asks me (which I think was actually Fania All Stars, dont know if you've heard of them) , "do you think people will get this?" And I was like "are you fucking kidding me! this sounds amazing!" And that's a guy whos been in the industry since the dawn of time.

So I guess all of us artists have one thing in common: deep down inside we look for perfection. Granted, we won't ever really achieve perfection, but it does push us to be really creative.

I'm also a drummer myself, so I always enjoy hearing from other drummers.

Thanks for the info Lee. I don't really think the buildup is too long, as it's an anticipation builder. The song is not really long, so it keeps your attention, and waiting is kind of cool with this, as it's not a typical song. As a listener, it kept me interested, and sounded fine. Just enough stuff happening to look into each part, but not too busy, and not boring. Had the song been longer, it might have needed more changes, but as is, good job.

man, I'm not even kidding when I say this:

Not even 2 minutes before I got a chance to read this, I get a call from a few members of the band and they decided it works for them as is.
So I guess it took a few nights for it to be worked out, so that'll be the final setup.

Shit, the bass player even went as far as saying, "dude, Lee, seriously bro...I had a dream and god told me to leave it as is".

So I'm like, "dan, if god himself told you to leave the song as is, then you my friend need serious help. Only kidding. I think just this once, we're all on the same page".

He's a trip, good guy to joke around with.

Be happy with the resopnse rate - I'm lucky to pull 1/2 doz over a week. You've almost matched that in 1doz hours.

man I'm glad you said that. I still familiarizing myself with the clinic forum, which I honestly trust a lot more than any of the "pro" songwriters guild, engineering, whatever forums they have out there.

I feel the work is better appreciated here. I'll be posting more songs for listening pleasure in increments, I'll keep you guys posted! thanks for the posi vibes.

I like this, reminds of an Eric Carmen ( except not as pop). Nothing to nitpick here, I definitely remember this group from the one you had posted a week or so ago. Good recording, they are in tune, the vocal effects are good.

Musically I could offer a few suggestions, which would probably be for the band and not the producer:

Its all in the same key. Always. At the end I was almost begging them to modulate to another one. They didnt even change from the tonic root, its all one chord. To me that gets boring by the end, no matter the intentions and the different soft/loud parts.

Good band and good recording, well done. :cool:

DavidK said:
I like this, reminds of an Eric Carmen ( except not as pop). Nothing to nitpick here, I definitely remember this group from the one you had posted a week or so ago. Good recording, they are in tune, the vocal effects are good.

Musically I could offer a few suggestions, which would probably be for the band and not the producer:

Its all in the same key. Always. At the end I was almost begging them to modulate to another one. They didnt even change from the tonic root, its all one chord. To me that gets boring by the end, no matter the intentions and the different soft/loud parts.

Good band and good recording, well done. :cool:

Ahh ha...very good call! Definitly appreciated.

David, you seem to be well versed in music theory. What do you think about key changes? Like technically and "spiritually"?

I'm curious to find out. It's something I've been wanting to emphasize as I get better at the musicality of producing.

I've had my years in piano and some basic theory....plus being armed with natural "Feeling". But I like to know how the gears work.

Not to speak for David, but I think he wasn't neccassarilly suggesting a key change. I think the issue is more that there is no movment within the parts themselves. There isn't really a chord "progression", it's just one chord, pretty much. Personally, I didn't notice that until he mentioned it, but I couldn't put my finger on why the tune sounded a bit...don't know the word...monotone? kind of. But, also as David mentioned, this might be more about the band than the producer/engineer.

RAMI said:
Not to speak for David, but I think he wasn't neccassarilly suggesting a key change. I think the issue is more that there is no movment within the parts themselves. There isn't really a chord "progression", it's just one chord, pretty much. Personally, I didn't notice that until he mentioned it, but I couldn't put my finger on why the tune sounded a bit...don't know the word...monotone? kind of. But, also as David mentioned, this might be more about the band than the producer/engineer.

oh yeah definitly. That part monotone is definitly prominent in this song. Like I said, somehow the piano loop ended up being the whole song.

Done on purpose, the band likes that for this song. Plus Im right with there with you guys. I like motion and progression. But I guess I'm learning that sometimes, people like to communicate an idea on one plain.

It's not taken personally, I just thinking about how I would approach this professionally, if hypotheically I did want to rework a few things here in there.

Yeah the key change thing was really a tangent. I was curious, now that I have David here, to get his opinion on key changes in general. Not really for this song.

Like I said....I knew this song was gonna bring out a bit of the dicussion I like! It's been a lot harder to work this one than most of the others! :D

There isn't really a chord "progression", it's just one chord, pretty much. Personally, I didn't notice that until he mentioned it, but I couldn't put my finger on why the tune sounded a bit...don't know the word...monotone? kind of. But, also as David mentioned, this might be more about the band than the producer/engineer.

Bingo.
Personally, I didn't notice that until he mentioned it, but I couldn't put my finger on why the tune sounded

Yup. Its the lil something that is kinda undefinable but definitely there. Fortunately, I went to music conservatory :rolleyes: :D

Its ultimately in the songwriters hands, but technically, this isnt a song!! Its true, it has no tonal structure, it never leaves one key. Again, thats not a horrible thing by any means, its just something I would definitely think about. Especially the beginning: the setup is a dark pop/power ballad, but it never pays off because it doesnt establish a key.

Here's a lil technical thought thats philosophical as well:

This is almost "atonal". Atonal is a word to descrbie weirdo classical music that is completely screwy. This, however, has no iv or v chord ( think Louie Louie or hang on sloopy, those are I-IV-V progressions.) Without coming out of the tonic ( the root, also called I), you can never establish it as the key because you never leave it! If you leave it just once than you establish the key ( I think this one was e minor or Eb minor I forget).

Again, all this is for whoever writes the music. More useless trivia:

I doubt you can copyright this song!!! Tis true: you could copyright the lyrics but not the song.. For a song to be copyrighted it has to have a lead sheet ( printed music with the melody and the chord changes). Since there are NO chord changes, its uncopyrightable!

OK, I am rambling...... its still good stuff, just needs a few chords. :)

Well done, Lee. I really enjoyed the mood that was projected by this recording. I agree that a few chord changes would add some interest, but if the musicians like it that way, you have to respect that. Fortunately, due to the great sounding vocals and the way you applied just the right amount and type of effects to the mix, this song is still very enjoyable to listen to.

Lee,
MANY producers actually take up structure issues with the band - hard to do on an unlimited budget that requires a rewrite - that's how many get their writing credit. That level of intervention is a delicate/trust thing though.
DavidK,
This may explain a lot about my music - I love Schoenberg's tone poem/atonal period - Pierrot Lunaire in particular - I used to listen to the Deutche Grammaphone Composer as Conductor series version in bed at night in the late 70's.
& now my sense of toanlity is, well if yours is colour mine is Blue Poles though probably with fewer poles.
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
Back