an update of a song

cello_pudding

ok...crit this mix...it takes me a little to create string parts and record them...so sorry for the wait.

the lower cello tone isn't the greatest as i'm in a small room and i'm pretty close to two corners while i'm recording...but i'm not always caring about quality.

mostly just a volume concern i guess. and whether there's too much reverb or too much yada yada...

oh! and i redid the vocals and i'm happier with these.

it's the one called 'Popular'

http://www.myspace.com/johnmarkh

i'm not really bumping this..i just wanted to say i briefly took it down and just put it back up

there were some level issues...and i fixed some other things...i still don't know about this one.

i think the panning is just screwy. it's like...if i turn it up...it's good...but if i am quieter it seems...i don't know.

anyways...crit this new one...

Really cool song Cello, acoustic guitar with the string section sounds great together. The guitar's string noise kind of stands out but thats just part of the guitars sound-and the violin & cello are such pure sounds.
Good job.:)

I like the song a lot - you should consider lowering your recording levels a little, it seems like there's some clipping -- but with myspace tracks, I can never be sure what's going on due to all the lossy compression. Do you have a less squished version somewhere?

On the mixing side, maybe bring the strings down a little - they crowd out your voice, either that or try and eq a hole in them for your voice.

What's your setup, and what mics did you use?

Very cool. If anything, I think I agree with antichef that the strings compete with your vocals at times, but I'd prefer that the strings not come down as they are exquisite.

This is a rare combination of emotive and cerebral content...almost intimidating actually...not all that accessible, but I'm guessing that is not your goal here...really very unique and cool.

Dude... you make incredible, beautiful music. You are a choice vessel, indeed! Very, very talented.
Now, it's been said twice before, and I agree; your vocals need more space. I hate to say that, because I agree with heatmiser.... the strings are so awesome, how could one want them turned down? At the same time, we must remember what our instruments are; accompaniment! When you sing, your voice has to be the center of attention. If it isn't, then it's just weird, and doesn't accomplish all that it could. Now, if I were you, I might arrange things differently, so that the strings could be featured in more places, sans vox. I haven't listened to your other stuff, so that might be the case in some other songs... forgive me for speaking out of turn if that's the case...

At any rate, fine job, my friend!!

Yay!!

~Shawn

thank you all so much!

i really hate compressing acoustic...but it seems on its transients it really kicked the limiter...i compressed it slightly so it doesn't sound crackly at those few moments

and i brought down the volume of everything. it's hard to know what's the line of being buried when i know the lyrics.

this track is sounding better.

it was at the end of my cd...i think i'll find another place for it now.

my gear is pathetic. it's not worth mentioning...but...mxl 990, 991 on acoustic (which i should retrack the choruses...but...oh well) 990 on vocal, 990 on cellos (which i played with poor tone), 990 on violins. i have truth b2031a monitors, and all preamps are onyx on my 400f (the only part of my gear i am pretty proud of)

I like it! love the strings. cool arrangement. as far as the recording gear... I know nothing of what it pertains, but if it is not that good, you prove that great music can be made with little.:)

Back