Unnamed song!

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
Hi, during work experience (Yeah I'm only 15) I managed to get a song done at the studio I was working at. Bear in mind there was two of us, and we had one hour. There would be a lot of things I would change if I'd had the time, but this was just a quick record and mix job. I hope you like the song :) Feedback would be great :D

And I apologise that I hadn't written any lyrics :)

For one hour's work this is really nice. The chords fit very well together. There are two guitar players? Or did you play both parts? I certainly have my thoughts about what you could do here. You said, "There would be a lot of things I would change if I'd had the time," so I'm curious - what would you change?

Nice piece of music!!
~Milan

When you have time? Believe you me: when you're 15 you have ALL the time in the world. :)

I wish I was 15.

I'll check out this song later...

Cheers MC. I would change the reverb on the vox, bring it forward a bit, and play along to a clicktape! Obviously if I had more time and resources I'd add drums (real ones only :)) and piano. I played both the guitar parts, but seperately obviously :D

I noticed that you didn't use a click but would you need one here? The phrases are long so the brief pauses between phrases add emotion to my ears. At :19 the intro is over and the verse begins - nice pause - eight bars later you have another phrase end and another pause - that's really nice. There are some tempo variances throughout the piece but you can work them out in rehearsal.

Piano would be very cool. Drums? I'm not convinced, I'd have to hear it first.

The only other thing I'd suggest is an adjustment in your mic placement. Was that a dynamic mic? (not a problem, just a question)

The only mic used was a Rode NT2, not the most professional but it did a nice job on the guitars I think. I would have used a different mic on the vocals though, no question. The placement was good I thought, perhaps not for the vocals. What did you mean by this? :)

The Rode is a fine mic - not an issue. You're right, the guitars sound very nice but there's a deep resonance that comes right out of the soundhole. That resonance takes up a lot of 'space'. If you put a piano part in there you'll notice a big difference in the guitar and piano sound - it might get a little 'muddy' because of the natural resonance. Moving the mic away from the soundhole reduces that resonance and exaggerates the higher end of the tone. It's fun to experiment with mic placement - you can make your guitar sound very, different depending on where you place it. (And you won't have to move it very far!! Just try pointing it up the neck and then down toward the bridge pins. Somewhere in there will be a 'sweet-spot' for your guitar.)

Try it and tell me if you find a mic placement you like better than the one you used. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Like I said - there's nothing wrong with your guitar sounds - they're quite nice.

I'm anxious to hear some lyrics for this - it's a really nice piece of music. You've got some talent! Let's hear some more!
~Milan

Aww, you're making my day :D My problem is until I get my OWN set up, it's hard to play with anything, because I don't HAVE any mics, mixers or preamps. I hope to get something soon though :)

Cheers again

This is really nice.
Guitars could maybe use a bit more sparkle and a bit less boom. The humming was pretty good :), nice melody, I almost hear a french horn playing that.

My voice sounds like a french horn? :D

Yeah the guitars could do with a bit more high end. As was said before I'd like to play around with micing, it was too near the soundhole.

pretty cool.. replacing some of the vox with a solo instrument, or adding one to them in certain spots might also be cool..

Back