Under Stone

Retrohazard

This one is close to finished.

I'm not sure about the acoustic recording sound wise. Thoughts?

Also the strings are not my favorite but do they take away from the song? I washed them out in quite a bit of reverb.

ANY and ALL comments about the song or mix are much appreciated!

NEW MIX HERE: MP3 Player SoundClick

MIX 1: MP3 Player SoundClick

Thanks!

Last edited:
I/m very new to recording so I'm sure others with more significant comments will follow.

What I notice is the little guitar frill at :14, 1:34, and 2:34 pops out too loudly.
Listening on HD 280 phones, so maybe it's on my end. My monitors are crap.

By following your thread, I'm hoping to learn if this should be corrected with compression, or fader riding, or automation, or If I'm just hearing things.

The performance sounds good to me.

The strings are a good touch. They fill out the sound a lot. I might bury them just a touch more to keep them from drawing attention to themselves. Are they actually "strings"? They kind of sound like the chorus patch on a keyboard.

The BGVox seems to lean a little left. It's a bit distracting.

Einstein's right about the 2:34 guitar run at least. It sticks out.

Some pretty good stuff here though.

I like the song and vibe! I think it's a great sound for home recording. The strings are sitting good in the mix. Very nice!

Can't get this to play in either Chrome or Firefox here, Ricky. I'm in my studio right now. I tried to play this a few hours ago from my work and couldn't get it to play there either. :confused:

Excellent feedback. Thanks!

New mix: I was not happy with my acoustic sound though it was not too bad I decided to double the guitar part which I hope is not too distracting. I like the overall sound better. Bumped the db's down on the guitar riff that was really sticking out. Turned the strings down and reduced the reverb on them. Balanced the BV's.

This is probably my last mix with my Audix monitors. They have been great but the Presonus s6's are being delivered today!

MP3 Player SoundClick

Einstein...you are spot on. I decided to reduce the volume of the guitars with automation at those places. They had enough compression already and I just needed to ride the volume faders there...

Steve...There are strings with a string patch mixed in. During the bridge it is a strings/chorus patch. Thanks for your help. I took and used all of your advice!

DenDaj...Thank you!

Kinda...That's weird. I checked it yesterday after your post and it worked on my phone. Also checked it this morning and it worked for me fine too. I am using Chrome also. Sorry!

Beautiful song. At first I thought the acoustics were too thin, especially on low string. But, I think its close to perfect. Everything has its own space and well done mix. Great job

Got it working just now.

This is a beautiful song. I remember this from the other forum a long time ago. It made an impression on me then, and it still does. I really love this song.

The mix sounds really good to me, except I am getting a harshness in the 6kHz area.

Using ReaEQ on this mix, I played with a 2 ocatave bump of 1.4dB at 2220Hz, a 2 octave -2dB dip at 5580Hz and a high shelf at 2 octave, 2.5 boost at 12kHz with the intention of reducing a bit of that harshness while retaining the open top end, and it made a very positive difference here. It makes the mix warmer and smoother, yet still very open.

This could come down to a monitoring difference, but it made a really pleasing difference to the overall sound to me. If you try these settings on your system and it either a) makes a positive difference; or b) neither sounds better nor worse: then it might be worth doing since it will at least be licking a translation issue.

Love this tune, man.

I might actually wait on layering in the second acoustic until later in the song. The single acoustic sound from the first mix is much cleaner in the intro.

Otherwise, I'm digging the second mix more. Much better balance between the vocal parts especially.

Sorry Tadpui, I was uploading a new mix...

Didn't like the new mix but old one is still up...I'll be back!

Last edited:
I like mix 2 mostly because it's wider.

Good guitar playing and singing. Nice harmonies.

I thought the doubled guitar was compressed too hard. It takes away from the intimacy of the song. Otherwise I thought the tone on the guitar was nice.

I'd back off the reverb all around, but especially on the lead vocal.

A couple of small pitch issues in the 2:41 - 2:45 range.

Thanks TripleM! I think I found the pitch issues and I made this mix much dryer. Not sure about the guitar compression. I may have been too close to the mic too.

Broken H --- Thank you. Another new mix in the next post.

New mix here:

MP3 Player SoundClick

Fixed the harshness thanks to KindaFishy. I tried your settings first and then just re eq'ed a bunch of things with my new monitors. Curious how it sounds now? I feel it is much clearer overall and just an improved mix
(hopefully)

I'm finding the acoustics' high strings sounding boxy, or at least just weird EQ. Great playing, though. Good song. Maybe the lead vocal could be lowered in volume just a bit - in the 'chorus' (the 'take me home' part)

Thanks Mike! I tried to fix the acoustic by starting over with eq. It's better but still not great. I lowered the vox overall as it was just too much on top of the mix. Thanks for the help man!

How'd you record the acoustic (what brand is it?)? I seldom have to apply any real EQ fix to my acoustic recordings - at most I take a little brightness out (when I'm using the Taylor).

Back