uhm... . . . ... ... . . . ... a cold song i just finished

Khompewtur

*Retired*
I spent maybe the first 2 weeks of December working this out. Tried a few different things production wise. Let me hear your honest thoughts peeps, hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season..

Here is the song.. feel free to blast whatever, i need the feedback to help me refine the mix..

"Frozen"

I've become a big fan over the last few months.
I find it very interesting how your style has improved to my ears since I first encountered your music.
A lot of the more recent stuff I've heard is simpler than some of the earlier songs but a lot more direct IMO.
I like reading the lyrics as I listen, but your delivery vocally is to a point where i can understand you...............Maybe I've just gotten used to you:D :cool:

Not too bad. Maybe a little too boomy, and the vocals are really behind the other tracks. I don't like the reverb/whatever effect that was either. Other than vocals, reminds me exactly of heart

Last edited:
Instant keeper. Kind of getting an Incubus vs. Pearl Jam (newer) vibration from this... (some song off Morning View mixed with Pearl Jam's "No Way" from Yield)

The production is sort of the retro, late 70's rick springfield reverb bath... kind of roller-disco slap back echo...

When it gets busier, the vocals disappear...

Excellent performances!! Nice F*CKME guitars (hetero, btw)

Suggest pulling back the reverb on the overall mix, bumpin the vocals... and blending the guitars back some in the choruses... great job Evan.

C

ps: someone hasn't been ... uh "somewhere else" lately... :D ;)

this is a great tune khomp.. I really like the vocal performance.. chad mentioned things.. I think the drums could be better.. the bass gets a little crazy..

excellent tune!!

Gave it a couple of listens - great track.

The bass becomes a little inaudible at times, love the guitar sound. participant mentioned 70's feel and that's exactly what I'm getting out of it, that's great in these days of kiddie music on the radio.

Man, I've been jonesin' for a Khompy hit - thanks!!
As always - love the lyrics, they always make me read several times and listen harder. And the music writing is definitely your style - very cool.
Kick-ass harmonies and very smooth melody line. I like the drums, too, even when you play the rhythm in 'your' style. (not a criticism)
When I'm listening on monitors the vocals seem way in the back at places - especially when you're singing in the lower register - yep, in the cans, too. The effect you have on the vocals seems to contribute to their distance in a negative way. Not that the effect is bad, just seems to add to the distance.
My production issues occur between 1:50 and 2:50. My thought is a distant background guitar solo building and leading to the solo at 2:54. This section stays dynamically pretty much the same and the rhythm isn't changing up so some teasing interest might spice it up without covering the lyrics. Bass could come up a tad overall - that lower 'dimension' is not very full. So there - you asked.
All of your tunes head straight to my keeper file - just like this one. Great stuff, man!! My kind of rokk.
~Milan

I was just messing around with your track earlier, adjusting a few things for practice and I came up with this:

Hope you don't mind me messing around with it a bit. Just learning the art of mastering a little bit.

Ok, thanks everyone for your help thus far, always greatly appreciated

I went back and made some revisions.

- I cut the levels of the master reverb wet/dry mix by 50%
- boosted the bass +1db in the 80hz curve
- also in master eq added +1db in 150hz range to entire song
- envelope vox in the lower register that were getting obscured

Hopefully this will clear it up somewhat..

HevyDan - Thank you for checking it out brutha! U r getting used to Khompy style? I hear you on getting acclimated to various peoples styles, it's been great watching everyone develop. Imagine if we could go back in time and be shown the song we would be producing now I'd bet we'd be able to make ourselves say "whoa!".

participachad - Yay! Keeper! That's always a good sign Chad thanks very much.. I pulled the reverb dry value back by 50% hopefully that will help. I'd never used a reverb for effect in the Master slot before so maybe i overdid it somewhat, up to this point it was only for a 2 or 3% verb used to sand the edges a little. Enjoy tomorrow (the 19th)!!

Canopus - Hey there.. my setup is Sonar/Aardvark24-96/t.c.electronic g major / Pod pro for the guit and bass. Vox were into the Aardvark with an AT4040 and an SM57. Thanks for listening.

Sabbathicide - Thanks for the encouragement Sam, much appreciated. You know my saga with drums ;) :D I think i hit the higher octaves too much with the bass at times too, lost that bottom end punchiness in spots.

lynx - Thanks very much for the review lynx, i boosted the bass somewhat in the bass track and overall, hopefully that will add a bit more bottom end.

Milan - I always appreciate when you stop in on one of my song threads Milan. I took the suggestions and tried to incorporate, there's a list at top of this post. Some of that low register stuff came in very small in wav form, i tried enveloping some individual words maybe that will help. This has to be my favorite kit since breaking from loop programming, still have a long way to go but i really enjoyed fabricating this one. Thank you again.

Fojar - Thank you for the review and also thank you for taking the time to experiment with the track.

I checked out your mastered version and it did seem to add brightness to the track overall but i think the level you added was a bit much, it sounded a bit harsh to me. But you're on the right track, i'm notorious for underutilizing my highs. I boosted 5khz about +.5db on the latest version, but i didn't want to go much more because i started to get those 'brain darts' from the cymbals and some vox. Thanks again.

I'll crawl back in here for this. :D

This is very good. I purposefully didn't read read the thread. Everybody's always saying Tom ("sluice") sounds like Tool, and while I can hear it I guess, this is a LOT more like that vibe to me...your vocal is excellent on here...

I have a suggestion...the bass ideas are cool...and I like the stuff you're doing up high, but something HAS to hold up the low end when you're doing it...there's nothing wrong with doubling the bass in parts (pretend it's a 5 string or an 8 string)...because the bass kinda' drops totally out of the song in some of the heavier places, and I really don't think it helps the song when it does...it's like it just loses momentum.

Fuck, it's a very cool song. Stars deserved.

Starting about 3:20 for example..."I can't believe"...there's a long section there where the bottom just really drops out...to ME anyway, it needs some ass from somewhere...a synth, a guitar (preferably, another bass)...

...I'll shut up now

The drums are too sparse. I don't know, maybe double the beats in the louder parts or just a more definite kick....bass and guitars seem to come unglued from each other in parts, and the vox could be a little more up-front.

Cool song though, great melody and killer harmonies

Cool vocal effects... kinda warm but cold if that makes sense.

The chorus vocals could come up.

The cymbal samples sound a bit weak for this.

I like the vocal melodies and the guitar changes. Very good song. Takes me back to early 90's AIC and Nirvana. Nice stuff.

GGGGGrrrrrreat!

Very nice Evan. This is probably one of my favorite things you have done. I enjoyed it immensely. Keep it coming. Later -Shaun

I agree with Shaun - from the 6 or so songs of yours I listened to on your website, this one is my fav. I think you really got the vocals to flow better on this one than some of the other songs. I notice in my own songs that sometimes I try to make poetry fit a song, and it hardly ever comes out sounding natural, so I now write the music and lyrics at the same time. Is that how you did it here?

I second Chris's note that the bass drops out on "I can't believe". That was a little distracting.

I think the "cave in..." verse lyrics got a little buried?

Other than that, you're the sonic master dude. All your songs have their own soundprint and I really dig 'em. Great mix of modern rock/metal and 70's.

I'm a fan and this one is velly goot stuff. Ditto with "harris" on the bottom doesnt seem enough to support that guitar work earlier in the tune. Sounds good at the resolve though. Vocal is definately out front now and clean in your stuff.

Thanks for the more feedback guys.. I went back and revised a 3rd time. I added a lower bass part in those areas where the original bass was going into the high register.

And thanks for coming here to check out my tunes guys, don't forget to keep me posted about your new material I'd love to check it out.

chrisharris - thanks for coming here to check this out, heh! You were spot on with that bass comment, i went back and added a short section where it was dropping out, sounds improved to me.

Bulls hit - thanks for the listen and reviews bulls, you don't give no bullshit man!! heh! I'll see what i can do bout them drums. I may have tidied up the bass a bit to help that unglued problem.

Sluice - I'm glad you caught this thread. I guess it's hard to create some realistic hi-hat action with samples. I suppose at least I know what i want to hear if i could get my hands on a real one. My roomie's boyfriend took out the drum kit so those cymbals are gone. Thanks for reviewing.

Analytical - Hey man! My favorite song is the one we made together. Hope your gear will be back up soon I'll be ready when you get back up and running. Thanks for coming for the listen Shaun.

Paco - Hey thank you, that is great. I never expected anyone would listen to the other stuff, it's always a surprise when i hear something like that. Thanks very much for the review and feedback. I usually write the instrument parts first, then sing scratch tracks over top which are nonsense just to lay a vocal melody on top. Then i go back and refine the lyrics, this method seems to make me happiest with my material.

TokiKenni - Thank you for reviewing, I added small bass segments to the parts where it was going into the high register, hopefully that will fix that one problem. I appreciate the review thank you very much.

CyanJaguar - Thank you for reviewing Cyan. I am rooting for one of those nice elusive tasty melody hooks to come your way. Thanks again.

Back