Two Songs For You Listening Pleasure

punkjaso

I recently joined here, to learn more information about recording and such.

Isabella is the song that we recently recorded, but everything when hit together just sounds really monotone. I don't really know what to do or how to go about this differently. I'm trying to invest in a firepod and better mics.What we used: Tascam US-122, Cubase Sx, SM57, a $50 senheisner(sp?), and one other cheap mic. We used all three mics to record the drums, we placed one at the bass drum and the other two overhead then ran them through the mixer then to the tascam us-122. We first recorded a live track and then the drummer recorded a seperate track to that. Then we did the beginning guitar stuff which we used the sm57 to mic the guitar amp. Then we did bass directly in from my amp(bassman 100). Finished the other guitar parts. Then keys directly in, then vocals and thats it.

If you could please give me some tips or something for future recording or how to make it sound better that would be good. Any critique whether it be good or bad will be beneficial. Also, if you could do the same to You're Water; Powered By Gatorade.

Thanks,
-Jason.

isabella

working with what you have i would say eq the parts that seem to melt or sound moonotone so that each can live in its own freq and pann them slightly left and right from each other. personally i would put a bit of reverb on the drums it just has that kind of vibe with all the fills and the police (wraped around your finger) would be a good reference piece to work from to get some ideas on how you should model this great tune!

welcome to the board!, and thanks for sharing,

one reason they sound so monotone is perhaps that the vocals aren't very easy to hear.... you're trying to work with dynamics though, with more intense and quieter parts in the arrangement, which is necessary if there's only one chord sequence.

as for the rest of the sound, i'd say it's a matter of taste as much as anything else.... it's probably pretty close to what you want, right? And on recording drums, i'm not the man to help, i use machines :)

i hear a bit of clipping in the kit, and some on the git too.
as some one around here says, thare is no prize for getting as close to zero as possible.

i'd turn up the kick
maby try less distortion on the git 2 (it's kinda strange in the low mids, and neithor git has all that much going on in the hi's)

given the limits of your equipment, id say you did pritty good.
just don't be afarid of eq, it's REALLY easy to over use, but don't be afarid of it, it's a staple.

panning the overs will give it more space
maby pan the git and keys a little

neat stuff, i'd like to hear it recorded better.

Back