Two Songs (Soft Rock/Hard Rock i guess..but very different)

kolodude

Hey I would really appreciate it if people could listen to the first two songs HERE ...The first one has a very different feel to it from other things and the second one has some parts with "off drums" and there is no bass yet but we are completely recording it...I do know that the cymbals are too loud in the second one.

First Song: Did you realized that the first one have to much "booming" probably added by the guitars with no Eq on them. Please made a Low Cut at 62 Hz you'll see how it improves your sound, everything will sound clear. The lead vox is a little low on some parts of the song, a little automation and little compression will do the trick, you could add some reverb to it, it's too dry right now.

Second Song: i can tell you didn't Eq the guitars here. You can feel the "boom" and there is no bass. For the vox, do as i said for the first song, same principle. Yes, the cymbals are a little loud, you could compress a little the drums with not to much attach to keep the dynamics, but first you must balance very well every level. An example... if you check my myspace i did that on the drums on almost every song and, for me, they sound pretty good.

keep rocking!!

Thank you so much for your comment. I did eq the guitars in both tracks(although probably not correctly) and compressed the drums in both (once again probably not correctly and i kept attack/release on auto)........but in the first song, I've listened on many speakers and i don't hear any booming from guitars. Bass a bit yea.....but I did low cutoffs on both at 45 Hz because our kick drum was recorded wrong (great mic.. Shure Beta 52A) but we had the highs and upper mids WAY down and lows up (were stupid yes, but we actually liked the sound..it wasnt leaking into the mains and staying in the sub) This was done for live, and we kept it for recording so when i bring down, say, 50 Hz, I believe the kick loses a lot of its value.

I can also try to add more reverb. Using Har-Bal, i added about 13% wetness to each one already.

We are completely rerecording the second one, and I will definately take your advice for when we do. Do you have any ideas for the frequency problems with the guitar sounds in the second one?

I would like to know how are you recording the guitars, was recorded everything together? mic or DI? which mic?

I use a SM57 for guitars and what I usually do is a low cut around the 62 Hz, then cut a couple of db at the 2k Khz - 4 Khz to leave some space for vocals. Then depending of the kind of song at the 8 Khz - 16 Khz I boost it or cut it, like i said, depending on the song.

I don't trust to much in that auto Attach/Release, for drums i like to use a medium low attach (this won't kill the dynamics) and a medium release. But first check the levels, cymbals, toms, kick, snare, etc. To much different dynamics on them? then edit the levels one by one (yeah, it sucks, but it will worth the time) to adjust the levels, then compress.

Good Luck!

Well this is embarrasing to say xD but i do a run through from the amp to the mixer (well, pedal -> amp -> mixer), but i use a line 6 amp which i believe has the best run throughs :/ I do have 4 SM57s. I recorded the drums in the first song with just one SM57 on the snare and just a condensor as an overhead along with another on the crash and a dynamic on the ride. In the second song, there are 2 NT5 overheads with the mic on the crash and NO SNARE MICS. Don't bother asking why xD. I will most likely use 2 SM 57s (one on top one on bottom) on the snare drum next time and I will most likely have an 8 channel USB interface by then (we do mostly live but we do want to be able to record some kinda of recordings). I've been mixing all the drums on one MONO channel for the first song, and i panned the overheads L/R for the second recording, but once again just one stereo channel.

Back