Two songs of just me completed, accoustic modern, please listen and critique

undrgrnd studio

http://members.cox.net/dsmall3/dans_mp3s.htm

The first two songs are the only two worth listening to. They were done on my BR1180CD, the rest are just old ideas from a 4 track.

I would really appreciate some other musicians listening to my music and critiquing it for me. I know they aren't perfect, but with just me doing the performing, recording, and mixing it isn't easy to end up with something I am completely happy with. But I may be over critical of myself and would really like it for some of you who have years of experience playing and recording (I have been playing now for 13 years, just turned 25) to listen with a helpful critical ear.

Would you mind telling how many tracks and what is in there?

I hear at least 2 guitars, bass, percussion, and two vocals.

I'm not very experienced in mixing yet, but here's how I would have done it

Bass is nice and where it should be.
I'm not sure if the bongos should be hard right like that.
Since you have two vocals, I see why you panned it like that, but I think it would be more pleasing to have the lead vocal in the center. If you were to double the backup part (as in record it separately again) and pan hard left and right, you might have a more desirable result.

Do you have some kind of effect on the vocal? they might need to be brought up a bit more.

In the end of the song it's so nice sounding. I like that a lot.

On the songwriting/arranging end, it's very nice. The breaks in the song are a bit confusing though.

Yeah I'm still a mixing noob really. I assume you are talking about the song First Day of the Month. There are I believe 7 tracks.

Track 1: Rhthym guitar mid panned left
Track 2: Lead Vocal panned slight right
Track 3: Bass guitar center
Track 4: Back Vocal panned slight left
Track 5: Guitar finger picking/Lead Guitar mid panned right
Track 6: Lead guitar mid Panned left
Track 7: Cheesy bongo panned right

You are good, pretty much right on. I didn't really think the breaks were a problem but I can see it taking away a little from the flow. Maybe I should rethink those breaks. Its so damn hard to stay in time without a drummer, I use the click whenever possible but sometimes I concentrate too hard on the click and timing and not enough on the actual feel of the song.

Oh yeah as for a vocal effect I just used the BR1180's Vocal Compressor effect. It boxes the sound in a bit too much, but its all I have for now. I would rather have the compressor not perfect than have a non compressed vocal that is peaking too much etc.

Thanks for listening for me. I'll center that vocal for sure (after I rerecord it). I can never leave a track alone, I always have to do it over and over and over again until its perfect. But I never get it perfect and usually just settle.

Back