Two new tracks for you

Dave52

I just up loaded some new songs. These are my first attempt at recording an accoustic drum kit (I was all Ekit until recently).

See what you think to them. All tracks written, performed and recorded by me...

Autumn
Wasting

These songs were recorded on my Fostex VF160.

Dave.

Listening to Autum

Good mix, nice song. My only complaints would be:
1. the distorted guitar sounds a bit whimpy and direct.
2. the bass sounds a bit heavy in the low end and a bit undefined (although I am listening in headphones).
3. the drums seem to lack some punch or body and the cymbals seem a bit dead or crispy on the high end (could be the mp3 encoding)

I would love to hear this song tracked to analog.

Nice recording, I'm just trying to be picky. I really like the vocal harmonies, you have a Yes type voice.

THanks for the reply

Thanks for listening. The guitars are direct inputs. It's not a really heavy track, so I didn't meat up the guitars too much.

As I said it's my first attampt at recording drums. I was pretty pleased with the results. I actually like the crisp cymbals, they really cut through the mix and have some nice long decay to them. I want to try and get more beef to the bass drum, but I guess that'll come in time - we're all learning right..!?!

Thanks again for your comments.

Dave.

Cool stuff. Vocals sound pretty good. Some slight pitch issues (a little flat here & there). Nice oddball changes in there.;)

Distorted guitar has that "cardboard" sound. A little less gain and a bit of EQ tweaking would handle that.

I hear some phase issues on the cymbals, and they're really dominant over the rest of the kit. Watch that mic placement! Snare sounds a bit dry & tight. Drummer doesn't hit it very hard, eh?:D

Overall pretty good.:)

damn, my ears are fried again... :eek:

M.Brane said:
Distorted guitar has that "cardboard" sound. A little less gain and a bit of EQ tweaking would handle that.

I agree with M.Brane - I'm using for that sometimes a VST Plugin called Warp or DaTube (case you using Logic or Cubase stuff)
cool sound man!
cheers

Wasting:
Cool Song. The vocal needs a bit of work. Off pitch in lotsa places. very intresting vocals, i wann hear you NAIL IT! The guitar sounds good I think. Just not present enough in the mix. Sounds like you doubled it but with tones that are too similar. needs air. Keep working on those drums. Tune that snare, change the head, the sounds not quite perfect. The kick needs more punch. The timing lags a bit especially in the solo part. I know youre doing all this yourself and it's incredably hard. I have insanly high standards for drummers and drum sounds and can't play a lick of drums.:D Not to be so hard on you but that's what you gatta hear especially since it's hard to seperate yourself from the music and the recording when your doing it all yourself. This is a greeat composition "try to make it better each day" :)

btw- that bass part at about 1:50 ROCKS!

Autum:
Mostly the same criticism's as above. Amazing to be so adept at all these instruments. I like the style.

Back