Two New songs recorded by my band!

hotwatertim72

So I yesterday, my band came over, and instead of practicing we decided to throw up a few mics and record a couple songs. They came out pretty well for finishing in an under hour. Here's what I used -

Drums -
-1 OH - MXL 990, almost above the snare, pointing diagonally at it.
-Snare - ES-57 (really awesome 57 copy), pointing diagonally at the center of the snare, about 6 inches or so back.
-Kick - Superlux FK12 inside the kick, pointing at the beater "strike area"
-Bass was D.I. straight into my firepod
-Guitar - One ES-57 pointing at the top right speaker on my guitarist's half stack cab. He was using a B-52 100w, solid-state half stack.

I ran it all through my firepod into my computer.

First song is called BAM BAM, and it's a little explicit with the language, so if there's kids around, let them listen.
BAM BAM

Next song is called Not Me, and no worries about language on this one.
Not Me

Questions, comments, death threats, anything is welcome!

the drums sound real good. the guitar needs to come up quite a bit imo. vocals sound good too.

Guitars should come up, drum kit sounds mono - liven it up a bit with verb, etc... and pan if you can. Some parts could also benefit from some compression if you are serious about it.

Vocals are alright, I wouldn't change anything drastically about them.

I can't pan the drums because I only used one overhead, as opposed to stereo. What parts do you think I should use compression on? I used some on the drums and the bass, and I put just a slight amount on the vocals. Let me know.

I would personally turn the voice a bit lower... or the guitars a up. I agree with the drums... liven them... in case you got a mono track try using some sort of stereo effects...

Thanks for the replies and advice. What kind of stereo effect would you reccomend using on the drums? I'm gonna compress the snare a bit and add a touch of reverb and maybe repost them tonight. Thanks again.

If you got separate tom tracks or room tracks, pan those and space it out a bit... you want to create some atmosphere without overpanning.
The snare (if EQ'd and verb'd properly) will open up while sounding heavier... you can also add some slight verb to the kick, but watch your low frequencies that may tend to mud each other up.

Back