Two New Songs My Band Made Indie-Rock

punkjaso,
17 - the ride cymbal is too up front.
The bass doesn't come across at all - sorry I'm a bass player so I listen for this.
Actually the further it goes the more it sounds like the drummer has taken over.
ALL the playing suits the song really well.
The song is cool & rocks. The refrain is ace.
REMIX with the drums in a SUPPORTING roll.
I like the guitar sound - sounds like a guitar.
Re post please.
Cheers
rayC

Chill song. I'm digging it a lot.

As for mix suggestions, I can only agree with what has been previously said, and give a bit more detail from what I hear. Drums sound like this is mostly just overheads. I don't know how you tracked it, but If you were close micing bass drum and snare then I'd say bring overheads down and the close mics up significantly. This will make the drums sound a bit fatter, rather than the thin over powering sound they have right now. Agreed on the bass as well. How did you record it. I'd say start by just bringing it up in the mix. Then if you do have a close miced bass drum find the parts of the bass drum in EQ that are a bit rumbly and cut those. Then boost those on the bass track as to add some spacing between the low end of the song. Spacing is kind of hard to master, but Its a good skill that is what makes home recordings sound pro (along with a lot of other things of course)

Otherwise great tune, and very well recorded for the type of tune. Oh by the way, I only listened to the first one, thinking I'd rather do one tune at a time.

Ben

I agree with both you guys about the drums and the bass.

We don't have very many microphones right now. Here's the equiptment we have and what we used though.

I used an Audio-Technica AT2020 LDC for the overhead placement of drums, the smaller mic that came with the package, th AT2021, near the hi-hat. Placed an SM57 on the snare and I know this sounds bad but placed an SM58 on the bassd drum. All of these went through the firepod and then mixed in cubase.

For the bass, I'm using a Mexican Made Fender Jazz Deluxe I went through my Fender Bassman 100 into the firepod, but I'm thinking I might just go directly into the firepod next time, or re-recording it through the firepod.

I think a problem is that we have many different things going and we are all trying to push for each of these instruments to stand out from one another. I'll try posting another mix of the song when I can get to it.

Edit: I'd also like to add we are 16 and very new to this recording stuff so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about mixing/EQ/mic placement/ etc. Thanks for the advice

Back