Two NEW (and hopefully better) live daughter band tunes..

Lt. Bob

Spread the Daf!
....hey ya'll. I took down the songs from that night of drunkeness and put up two that I recorded last thurs. It's the band with my daughter again and I'm on guitar.

I have a DAT walkman and a battery powered board and I'm trying to get so that I can make passable live recordings with a small package to carry around. I can get it all into one of those aluminum camera cases so it's easy to record every night.

This was done the same way as the others (with an SM57 at each end of the stage) but I added a line in from the monitors. It really helped to bring the vocals up and brightened them up some too. Now I just have to get the perfect level and work on mic placement some. So I'll probably post a couple of songs every few weeks 'till I get it right. With a 3-piece band; I ought to be able to end up getting a fairly decent sound.
Last time someone suggested I put a mic in the audience to catch ambience but I don't want to put anything out of my reach and in the audience's. I want everything on stage.

They're at the bottom: #1 Jennifer James (the name of the band) and #2 Jennifer James. Songs are Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Hashpipe.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles
SAMICIDE: You'll like #2 the best. :D

Hey Steve....sounds a lot better. Did you do anything to it after? How is it being mixed, or is it?
Everything seems to be there. Little bit too mono, but I've been mixing tonight, so take away my stereo image and I get dizzy. :D Also, maybe a touch mid-rangy, maybe a little EQ could help. But it's not bad for what it is! Great live stuff.

Hashpipe.

nice.

ŠLûiÇè

good stuff Lt. I love to listen to live suff. good band sound, all around. I'm there. :)

Thanks for the input. It's a bit too mono? OK, I can fix that. i did two things to it after recording it. I ran it thru a bit of EQ and I panned the two mics in toward the center. I did that because when I record it...one mic gets only bass and the other gets only guitar so I had them meet a bit in the middle but it sounds like I overdid it. The EQ is the same thing, I was trying to bring the guitar and vocals up in the mix and overdid that too perhaps.

Thanks, this'll be very helpful. I'm gonna be recording again this Thursday and I'll try to take whatever everyone says into account as I set things up.

sounds good Lt. for a portable dat

its funny, I used to cover the hashpipe song :) and I just sang it at Kareoke last week... so its cool to hear a different spin on it.

your daughter must be a tough cookie singing songs like that :D

Great Job Sergent! Enjoy'd!

Hey Steve...don't be too too hasty unless you hear it too, or if others agree. Like I said, I've been mixing too, so my ears are tired. And I wouldn't expect a really wide stereo image from a live recording anyway!

Hello, Lt.

I was gonna ask if you forgot to stick a mic in the kick, then I realized you did the whole thing with 2 mics!!!:eek: :eek:

Since I have zero experience with live recording, do people insert reverb for the vocal at live? I think your daughter's voice will definitely benifit from a little delay/reverb. I love live stuff!

AL

i listened to hashpipe........nice and loose sounding.........i like the live sound.........you said you got the monitors recorded right?......you should bring up the vocal a little.............sounds good

A1A2 said:
I think your daughter's voice will definitely benifit from a little delay/reverb. I love live stuff!
I do use delay and 'verb on her voice live but........she likes her monitor to be dry so she can hear her pitch better. I tried taking a feed from the mains but I ended up with too much drums since we have the drums pretty well mic'ed up.
I'll try adding a bit-o-verb to the monitors and see if that sweetens it up some. Thanks

Thing about "Hash Pipe" is she doesn't have to go falsetto for the opening line :) Cool jam.

Best shot - Daughter really lets go. Nice emotion. She enjoys the applause at the end, eh? ;)

Nice.

I heard these before I came to work tonite. That daughter can belt it out, high energy. I thought you just did keys and horns, you aint bad at all on the guitar. :) bass is good. I like the backbeat hand on that drummer, he is very consistent.
That kinda micing is cool. I used to do it with my band but I`d put a stereo send of the board at a low level up under it to give it a little more definition.

The recording is excellent, in my opinion. I have never been able to record anything other than garbage live (garbage in, garbage out :D)...but I'm truly impressed. You make it sound like this was no big deal, but hell...well, I actually have one live cut on my band's demo...but it's got more overdubs than "liveness" in it. LOL.

Nice job. Hash Pipe's a great song.

Your daughter, of course, is excellent on the mic.

Now, please go listen to my daughter, since we're making a family affair out of this, lol.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Lt. Bob
SAMICIDE: You'll like #2 the best. :D [/QUOTE]

that was totally cool! I enjoyed both of these.. that Pat Benatar is a tough one to sing too.. It's great hearing a girl sing Hash Pipe! :D These recordings aren't too bad man.. I always would like to hear the guitar a bit more, especially on something like h.p... maybe a bit more gain/distortion would be cool too.. give it a bit more meat, and help get more sustain when soloing.. I couldn't play those solos you played.. Who is 'Jennifer James'? ever do any originals?

cool stuff Lt., keep 'em comin..

Hey Steve,
..very solid man! Great performances, and the recording doesnt sound too bad either:) . Only one thing missing from this. SAX! I sooooo wanted to hear the solo in hash pipe done w/ Lt.Bob's sax magic. Come to think of it, It would sound great on the Weezer version too.

Great stuff man!!

g :)

Cool tunes man-I'm not familiar with "hash pipe" but since its been so long since ive seen any of that-i went there first-I like your drummer-hes pretty damn solid-guitar tone was nice and raw-just the way i like it-cool solo---Hit me with your best shot-sounding good so far----baaah my player is hung up(before that solo damnit!-real nice solo on the original-he uses every trick in the book on that one). Cool live recordings-nice to hear stuff like this for a change. (you still carrying all the gear??)

Sounds like a good time, wish I was out there playing a bunch of old classics. It was great to hear the pb lead all phrased out.

I listened to Best Shot cuz I thought it would suit your daughter's voice really well. Right on that one.

Much better sound, for sure. But I have this itty bitty question: why use SM57s for live recording? And why at the ends of the stage? I'm amazed you're getting a sound this good with a couple of SM57s, but maybe I shouldn't be.

This isn't a recording question, but on the guitar break, the sound needs a bit more muscle. Don't they sell boxes you can stomp on that will do that? Muscle boxes or something...

You're gonna start a buncha live music recordings with this stuff, you know that?

Dobro....the question's a good one. The reason I use 57s is 'cause that's what I have. :D

The whole point of this is to get a recording rig that's so small and easy to use that I simply casually take it to every gig and record every night without it being a pain in the ass. As it is, I already have a shitload of equipment to set up and run and I don't need any additional hassle. The little battery powered board I'm using doesn't have phantom power so bringing some condensers along isn't possible unless I want to buy a different small board which I don't want to do and then there would be extra hassle and I have about all I can do as it is. Also, I don't know about gigs in Singapore....but around here you don't want anything put out in the reach of the audience. If you do, it'll get broken or stolen. The reason I put them at the ends of the stage is 'cause since it's a 3-piece band....I figure one will get mainly bass and the other will get mainly guitar thus giving me the most control over the final sound 'cause I can turn the bass or guitar up and down to balance each other. And they both pick up the loud-ass drums.

As for the guitar sound....that's been a bit of a puzzlement to me. I guaruntee you that my sound live is plenty distorted and powerful but on these tapes I've been doing....it sounds clean as can be....almost as if I wasn't using any distortion at all. I can't understand it 'cause on that particular spot you mentioned....I'm using two pedals...a Bluesdriver and a Metal Zone and both of them are cranked. And like I said....live; it's dirty and rockin' but on the tapes it comes out clean. I guess I need to stick the mic on my side more directly into the amp. This is a learning process and I will keep working until I get it right.

Did you get those tracks BTW?

Back