Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two NEW (and hopefully better) live daughter band tunes..

Thanks

Two NEW (and hopefully better) live daughter band tunes..

Sign in to disable this ad
    ....hey ya'll. I took down the songs from that night of drunkeness and put up two that I recorded last thurs. It's the band with my daughter again and I'm on guitar.

I have a DAT walkman and a battery powered board and I'm trying to get so that I can make passable live recordings with a small package to carry around. I can get it all into one of those aluminum camera cases so it's easy to record every night.

This was done the same way as the others (with an SM57 at each end of the stage) but I added a line in from the monitors. It really helped to bring the vocals up and brightened them up some too. Now I just have to get the perfect level and work on mic placement some. So I'll probably post a couple of songs every few weeks 'till I get it right. With a 3-piece band; I ought to be able to end up getting a fairly decent sound.
    Last time someone suggested I put a mic in the audience to catch ambience but I don't want to put anything out of my reach and in the audience's. I want everything on stage.

They're at the bottom: #1 Jennifer James (the name of the band) and #2 Jennifer James. Songs are Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Hashpipe.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/wondercow/singles
    SAMICIDE: You'll like #2 the best.

Thanks
    Hey Steve....sounds a lot better. Did you do anything to it after? How is it being mixed, or is it?
    Everything seems to be there. Little bit too mono, but I've been mixing tonight, so take away my stereo image and I get dizzy. Also, maybe a touch mid-rangy, maybe a little EQ could help. But it's not bad for what it is! Great live stuff.

Hashpipe.

nice.

Li

Thanks
    good stuff Lt. I love to listen to live suff. good band sound, all around. I'm there.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. It's a bit too mono? OK, I can fix that. i did two things to it after recording it. I ran it thru a bit of EQ and I panned the two mics in toward the center. I did that because when I record it...one mic gets only bass and the other gets only guitar so I had them meet a bit in the middle but it sounds like I overdid it. The EQ is the same thing, I was trying to bring the guitar and vocals up in the mix and overdid that too perhaps.

Thanks, this'll be very helpful. I'm gonna be recording again this Thursday and I'll try to take whatever everyone says into account as I set things up.

Thanks
    sounds good Lt. for a portable dat

its funny, I used to cover the hashpipe song and I just sang it at Kareoke last week... so its cool to hear a different spin on it.

your daughter must be a tough cookie singing songs like that

Great Job Sergent! Enjoy'd!

Thanks
    Hey Steve...don't be too too hasty unless you hear it too, or if others agree. Like I said, I've been mixing too, so my ears are tired. And I wouldn't expect a really wide stereo image from a live recording anyway!

Thanks
    Sounds tight Lt......does your daughter write and record originals too?

Thanks
    Hello, Lt.

I was gonna ask if you forgot to stick a mic in the kick, then I realized you did the whole thing with 2 mics!!!

Since I have zero experience with live recording, do people insert reverb for the vocal at live? I think your daughter's voice will definitely benifit from a little delay/reverb. I love live stuff!

AL

Thanks
    i listened to hashpipe........nice and loose sounding.........i like the live sound.........you said you got the monitors recorded right?......you should bring up the vocal a little.............sounds good

Thanks
    Originally posted by A1A2
    I think your daughter's voice will definitely benifit from a little delay/reverb. I love live stuff!
    I do use delay and 'verb on her voice live but........she likes her monitor to be dry so she can hear her pitch better. I tried taking a feed from the mains but I ended up with too much drums since we have the drums pretty well mic'ed up.
    I'll try adding a bit-o-verb to the monitors and see if that sweetens it up some. Thanks

Thread Information