Two Metal/hard rock mp3s

Kerpal

I have been trying to refine the sound for the songs I have been recording and I am looking for some criticism on these mixes. I am trying to figure out how I can improve their sounds to make them sound more professional.

There's

song1

and

song2

I am especially interested in ways to improve the second one. I know the distorted part at the end is weak and these songs are by no means complete, just samples of what I am working on. These songs aren't long also, they're only about two minutes each.

Without knowing exactly what you want from these, I wouldn't know what to tell you to really improve them. I listened to number 2 first. I'd like to hear a thicker, and heavier distorted guitar, but that may not be what you had in mind. I just think a more dramatic change in sound would be cooler. Drums are a bit loud, and might do with some compression to tame some dynamics there.

The firtst one has a much heavier sound to it. That is a style of distortion I think might fit the other tune better...but that's just a personal preference.

Good tone on this one. Nice punchy bass also. Drums seem to be better mixed in this one.

I'd say all in all, very good start to these. They have good potential to be cool tunes.

Funny thing is I used the exact same distortion preset in the second song but it just comes out really weak. I think I am gonna record that part by micing an amp instead of using direct with software. I guess the software (amplitube) just sounds better when it's tuned lower because the first song I played in drop D and most of the riffs are done on the 6th and 5th strings.

in song one the low end is dominating the sound too much!!!
song two ... sounds between muddy and boomey. when the solo guitar ends and the distorted rythm guitar begins there is a sudden drop in volume, like all of a sudden something is missing.
apart from that i like the mixes.

Yeah, you're right. Any tips for micing techniques on acoustic guitar? I am playing a classical guitar miced with sm-57 but it always seems extremely bass dominate and I always get a boomy sound. I pretty much mic to on axis to the sound hole. I want to mic with a condenser, but alas no money right now.

Well, I listened to Messiah and this is some really good stuff. I like the flanger/chorus or whatever effect you used on the first heavy part, but you might want to tone it down it a bit, it seems a little to wet. The distorted arpeggio part is cool too, but maybe cut the distortion a bit to make it cleared. Really the song writing here is excellent, just need to fix the production up. The drums seem to be a little drowned in the mix, maybe drop all of the guitars a dB or so. Nice chops by the way.

Listened to the other song, Celtic Ruins and pretty much same comments apply production wise. The guitars can definitely be done better, probably with the same stuff you're using. You have a good guitar tone you just need to capture it correctly, it's tough though especially with hi-gain sounds. I like this a lot, it's very melodic kinda reminds me of In Flames.

I love the tone on the first one, what amp/guitar do you use...

Maybe the drums could be a little tighter/louder/ more treble to cut through the mix better....

mayonaise33 said:
I love the tone on the first one, what amp/guitar do you use...

Maybe the drums could be a little tighter/louder/ more treble to cut through the mix better....

I used Amplitube VST plugin. From my experience the metal sounds are only good with palm muting and lower tunings. The second track actually uses the same preset at the end but it doesn't turn out nearly as good.

hi kerpal thanks for listening, your right about the gain and chorus, i thought there was to much flange but i kind of liked it and went with it. The gain all cranked to 10 on my amp, i seem to 'lose' something when i turn it down though. my drums, i turn it down a touch cause i know their fake and i guess i tryto hide them a little, maybe ill try dfh, iused the buzmaxi3 for loudness maximizer http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html (free), i think its good, not sure though

Sorceress said:
hi kerpal thanks for listening, your right about the gain and chorus, i thought there was to much flange but i kind of liked it and went with it. The gain all cranked to 10 on my amp, i seem to 'lose' something when i turn it down though. my drums, i turn it down a touch cause i know their fake and i guess i tryto hide them a little, maybe ill try dfh, iused the buzmaxi3 for loudness maximizer http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html (free), i think its good, not sure though

I know what you mean, I like to play with maximum gain too but once you start adding guitars the track becomes muddy. It's just not the same recorded versus jamming. My drums are fake too but I keep 'em balanced, the samples aren't bad though so they sound pretty real. If you're using MIDI for the drums just get better samples or a better host program to play them in, like drum kit from hell superior. I plan on upgrading to that when I can afford it.

i would have never figured out the question mark, sounds like the guitar on the first song is a keeper, drums sound good to, never knew reason made good drums. i think? you have to pull the 57 away from your acoustic, but i know the mic has low output, maybe point away from the sound hole?,ive never tried so im not sure

Back