Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Twinflames - struggling with bass and lead vocal

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I didn't hear the first version, but my comments on the second:

I like the way the layers build up the energy. At first I thought the snare was a bit loud, but by the middle, it was just right. The drums sound great overall. I like the backing vocals and I like the reverse reverb or whatever that is. There are some definite pitchy spots. A little at the beginning, then in the middle it's not quite so noticeable. Around 3:40 when the band drops out and she holds some notes, it's a little cringy.

Thanks
    I didn't hear the first mix but the new one sounds really good. I'd just suggest to make the intro drum machine sounds a little shorter, like maybe to 4 bars or half as long as it is now. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Cool stuff. Like some of the little tricks you did in there. I am listening on cans right now but I think the low end, particularly the kick is lacking a bit. Its there but it doesn't seem to drive the song as much as it could, maybe dial in a little more low end to it. By no means breaking the song but just my observation. Reminds me A lot of ABBA. Good job.
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    The singer has a nice tone. The pitch is not always 100% on target. A double tracked vocal I think would work well. You could probably compress it a bit harder.

I might cut down the length of the synth intro. When the vocal comes in, I might reduce the level of the synth. It competes with the vocal just a bit.

It's cool when the song kicks in the drums and bass. Is the bass midi?
    Thanks for your feedback! The bass is actually real. It's a p bass going direct into the interface. Nothing but a bit of compression and eq.

I might look into sidechaining the synth or maybe eqing it a bit to make room for the vocal. I'll compress the vocal a bit more and maybe raise the level a fraction too.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Fretz View Post
    There are some definite pitchy spots. A little at the beginning, then in the middle it's not quite so noticeable. Around 3:40 when the band drops out and she holds some notes, it's a little cringy.
    I already did some light tuning on the harmonies but I'll try some on the lead vocal too. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dearborn View Post
    I'd just suggest to make the intro drum machine sounds a little shorter, like maybe to 4 bars or half as long as it is now.
    This is something a lot of people have mentioned. I'll definitely try out a shorter intro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruthish View Post
    I am listening on cans right now but I think the low end, particularly the kick is lacking a bit. Its there but it doesn't seem to drive the song as much as it could, maybe dial in a little more low end to it.
    This was one of my biggest concerrns because I can't properly hear the bass with the equipment I'm using at the moment. I don't want too much bass on the track but I'm thinking of just adding a bit more bass at the mastering stage. Or would it be better to do a little bit of eq on the kick and bass track individually?

Thread Information