tryin to bring some funk to the bbs

JFogarty

Can you guys check out this song, and give me a little feedback? On a little meter-esque funk song I've been doing. Its my first post in the clinic, so be gentle ;)

Click the only link on the page

I know the bass sucks, I'm planning on redoing it. The puff daddy vocals are a little silly, but its mostly in jest. And I don't think that I'm going to keep the silly piano solo at the end.

very fun tune...the bass wasnt that bad but you need to getMrQ to throw a bass line on that....Q smokes on bass.....

yes the piano has to go....Docs cat sounds better when he dances across the keys.....

I didnt like the snare sound.......it was kinda ringy?....someone help me with the word im looking for.....

i enjoyed the tune...very well done.......

Thanks gidge,

yeah, I have a ton of trouble getting snare tone. Its a really old set (my dad played his high school prom with it) and I really can't tune drums for shit. The thing has only sounded good once, and thats when I spent some money to go into my guitar teachers studio and record a song. Sounded like a whole different set.

The drums in the two sections before the break were recorded like 2 years ago with one mic that I got free with a guitar and then some computer mic, so it doesn't sound too hot.

After the break, the drums are recorded with 2 marshalls (the ones with the pop filter that I took off) a sm57 on the snare and the marshall dynamic on the kick. Its into an old EV powered mixer, pumped up so it clips alittle bit. Angry drums. Have you ever heard of Dag? They do that same kinda thing (but much better)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

The song is Joo Funky? by the way...

Last edited:
I think that snare needs some muffling to take out some of those overtones. Tuning it would help, but I can't tune my drums either so I can't say nothin more bout that. I liked the sound of the drums better after they switched if that helps any.

If nothin else, that piano made me laugh. I like the music in general, and with some polish it could be a cool funky interlude type thing. Personally, I'd get some more serious vocal parts goin on, or drop them altogether.... but just depends on what you are goin for. You mentioned they were partially in jest, so in that sense it kinda works.

Back