"Trouble" --acoustic rock original

Rob, you have been putting out some remarkable stuff.
The bass is awfully pressure-y..especially on the Bbs...
Love all the guitars. Guitar on the right has an overriding frequency from the solo on...1800-2k? that the right side panning doesn't help.
The vocals are amazing.
Was recording an egg the other day. How did you get it to sound so clear? What mike/distance? I was using two, but that sounds like a single. Maybe that would clean mine up a bit more.

Since you pointed out that you dub in those harmonics, I'm hearing it. Great recording, playing and singing. I'm with B-H on that slide guitar on the right, a bit overbearing for me. Not much to say beyond that.

Rob, you have been putting out some remarkable stuff.
The bass is awfully pressure-y..especially on the Bbs...
Love all the guitars. Guitar on the right has an overriding frequency from the solo on...1800-2k? that the right side panning doesn't help.
The vocals are amazing.
Was recording an egg the other day. How did you get it to sound so clear? What mike/distance? I was using two, but that sounds like a single. Maybe that would clean mine up a bit more.

hi broken,
thanks for listening and commenting...

yes, that guitar part... i wanted really bright, clangy, metallic....
but i can fix that freq for sure.

the egg/shaker track,
honestly, i can't remember if it was an egg or a cabasa...
but either way, a single mic, about 4 feet away, with a compressor on the output of the mic pre, and then i just play with the levels until i hear what i want.

---------- Update ----------

Really good work. Excellent recording and production

hello pdp,
thanks, i appreciate the comments

This is really amazing. I love the laid-back groove of this one.
To be honest commenting on the mix is not really my strength, so I'll tell you the other things I hear.
The backgrounds such as "None at all" sounded a little off to me. The rest of the vocals sound professional-grade, but not those. I think they need to be roughed-up a little or something. Less in-tune with each other, or an element of "spoken" (or whispered) rather than "sung".
I also wished there was a stronger downbeat to make the song a little more driving and offset the extremely laid-back feel. Either adding something like kick or making the guitar part louder on the downbeat.
Regardless, this was super good!

Really good work. Excellent recording and production

thanks pdp! appreciate the comment. :cool:

Since you pointed out that you dub in those harmonics, I'm hearing it. Great recording, playing and singing. I'm with B-H on that slide guitar on the right, a bit overbearing for me. Not much to say beyond that.

alright robus, yes, about that slide, i'll be tweaking that for sure..
i really wanted it metallic and raw, tho, so i just need to carve that one freq....

Beautiful! Best I've heard in quite a while.
I'm envious :)

that's really nice to say, mixsit, thanks!

This is really amazing. I love the laid-back groove of this one.
To be honest commenting on the mix is not really my strength, so I'll tell you the other things I hear.
The backgrounds such as "None at all" sounded a little off to me. The rest of the vocals sound professional-grade, but not those. I think they need to be roughed-up a little or something. Less in-tune with each other, or an element of "spoken" (or whispered) rather than "sung".
I also wished there was a stronger downbeat to make the song a little more driving and offset the extremely laid-back feel. Either adding something like kick or making the guitar part louder on the downbeat.
Regardless, this was super good!

hi jessica x,
thanks for checking it out and commenting!

the none at all lyric, check...
when i remix this, i'll try some different approaches on that, i want it to be clear and easy to understand,
but i like the idea of having it different.

i originally did do a loud whisper,
but that did not work.

but as far as percussion or drums,
probably not.

this was always envisioned as a 'heavy folk' kind of thing....

call it a 'lonely desert road' kind of vibe....!

Back