Trippy Rockin' Tune

TexRoadkill

Audio Bum
Here's a new song that's about 95% done. We did some fun stuff on the guitars using multiple amps and cabs, lots of ambient micing. The only FX used during mixdown is compression and a bit of delay on the vocals.

If you get bored with the beginning it rocks out more after the bridge @ around 3:30.

All feedback and suggestions appreciated.

The song is called 57
http://www.nowhereradio.com/texroadkill/singles

Here are some pics of the session
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=242640

The intro builds nicely but I think you could carve 30 seconds off it and still retain the impact.

The drums sound raw, in fact the kick sounds just like the kick in my room before I EQ the life out of it. The drums sit real well though, and everything's nicely balanced.

The song rocks too, I like it

edit: cool studio! wow

cool tune,

i like the vocals and the guitars have a nice tone aswell, the drums for the intro are like radiohead's high and dry but thats neither here nor there :)

Last edited:
It sounds like you were going for real room ambience on the drums which is very cool but here it sounds too distant. Other than that, it kicks ass.

Guitars sound great. I like the big roomy drums and the idea of recording them raw, but the kick and toms sound sort of dead. You can't hear their tone. Maybe mix in some close mics just for a little flavor on the toms and kick. Sounds cool though and that's a bad ass setup yall got. :)

The song sounds really good. :) The drums and the guitar sounds really nice.

The only thing I'd mention as a nit is the clean wah sounding guitar. Not a big fan of it.

The solo is jammin'. Dude! I'm always trying to get my drums to sound like this with the quarter note open hats. Never sounds like this.

Towards the ends and in the beginning the wah guitar sounds cool. Just in the choruses not a fan of the sound.

Thanks for listening.

I was going for more of a lo-fi drum sound on this one but I think the drum tuning was a touch flat. No close mics to turn up on the toms, I like micing the drums old school with kick,snare and room mics. We've got some other songs where I'm doing a more hi-fi sound, I just want to switch things up.

The wah sound is actually keys but I appreciate the opinion.

1st min or so has a Cure a la 17 secs era sound.
The wah ke is interesting.
The voice sounds a little thin - could you beef it up a little?
Drums sound good.
Bass growls well early on but gets buried around 3min - then comes good agin.
Good work.

Nice intro.....it made me wonder what was gonna happen. Nice vocals.....some good use of the pipes there. Nice voice. Very tasty guitars....:cool:
great sounds all around. This came across well. No real comments, that haven't already been made...the kick. I'd like to hear more depth, but it's not bad as is....just different.
Nicely done....

You are right about the trippy part. HA. It is a really really cool piece. The vocals are perfect ;). I would like it if the mix would open up to be a little cleaner after the initial effect was captured. Just ask if you want me to explain what I mean by that (i dont really know right now.) Ha,

Nice job,

-jD

Back