"The Travel Song" - heavy melodic rock original

GONZO-X

"The Travel Song" - heavy melodic rock original

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/travel-song-12-05-10

a new updated version of this song, it features all new guitar, bass and vocal tracks.

recorded in sonar, mastered in wavelab with Waves LinMB, EQ and L2
guitars are USACG strat, Carvin DC200K, thru mesa boogie mark2b and Avatar 1x12 vintage cab with celestion heritage G12H, carvin miced, strat direct via palmer junction.
bass is Carvin LB70, thru sansamp bass DI and mesa guitar amp thru a palmer di blended.
drums are sony ACID loops and samples.
Vox thru ADK Hamburg, into a super cheap ART DPS, into DBX compressor, into DAW.

The Travel Song

as we journey, into the great tomorrow
we will see,
all around us, all around us
all the people who have come from so far away
and they look weary, and they look weary,
we will smile, and offer our friendship
offer our sanity, offer serenity

they turn to look for the tangible,
look as they will, they cannot find
the crucible of the devotion
look here and there, come what may

all they see, is apathy
in the faces of everyone else
then a man, with LIGHTS in his eyes,
shows them the way, and then he explains,
he understands.

everywhere that i go,
everywhere that i see,
everywhere that i know,
everywhere, that is me.

journey, to everywhere.
journey, to everywhere.
you are here, you are there,
you are there, you are there.

Following light, Following light.

I travel with you now,
following light. giving me sight.
stand, steady as a stone,
directing me, calm as the sea.

following light.

thanks for checking it out jlewis...

there's zero verb on the drums.

it's all room mic, that's why it sounds so 'big' and roomy.

it was just a subjective decision, to make this one sound more roomy than my normal mixes.

I like the recording and I like the song. Good job.

I think the guitars could stand to come up just a bit. The drums / bass seem louder than then your guitars.

I like this a lot. First off, it's a great beat. Also very cool guitar playing with great embellishments and riffs throughout the whole song. I also like the singing and harmonies. As far as nits, there might be something just a little "narrow" about the mix, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is because it sounds like you have things out in the stereo field. Other than that, very cool...nice work!

Best,

Dave DeWhitt
SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

DogmaticVox
thanks man, appreciate the review....
guitars up.
you know, all guitarists seem to want the guitars up on this thing...
and all 'song writer' types, want it down!
LOL
doesn't that figure.....
i think i wanted the drums and bass to figure prominent, since the guitars are really just carrying the rhythm and melody, and not really riffing a beat/rhythm, if you know what i mean.
it's almost like a really really loud folk tune!
heheheh

dewhitt
glad you dig it man...
you know, i DID narrow the mix! good ear......

the drums, are a stereo file, that i split into two mono, and hard panned left and right...
and then, i thought it seemed to spread out.....
so i brought the panning in to about 65% left and right..
then, i brought the guitars in, just outside of the drums.

i wanted it to be more in your face, and more distinct, but not mono.
so, i'm on the fence now, whether to spread it all back out, or narrow it even more.

still kinda freaks me out sometimes, when i listen to old early van halen, and turn the one speaker off on the right, and the guitar disappears!!
LOL

Hey, I heard this before. It still sounds great! The vocals can use a high cut, but the compression is perfect. Bass tone is splendiferous. Drum room sounds amazing. Really adds a nice 90's grungy sound. I'm digging the guitar tone. I think the guitars can come up a little. Awesome

squibble
are you saying you think the vox have too much high end?
i was wondering about that......
thanks for listening....

Every time I hear your guitar I have this strange desire to play your rig - I want to experience what a great tone feels like. :confused: :o Oops, there I go again mixing drugs with forums posting. Anyway, great guitar riffs on this one. Everything sounded nicely spaced. The drums might have popped up now and then, but not too bad. The drums sounds are great. I see a theme here "Journey", "Travel Song"...I almost thought you'd bumped and old post, but I saw that the lyrics were must more broad in this one.
Great job on this one. Vocals were good; The harmonized guitar were cool too.
:D:cool:
Brad

squibble
ok, thanks.
check the new mix....

maximus
you'd have fun playing my rig, i'm guessing...
it's got a wide range of tones for sure, and that's with it just setup with the one channel switcher and the pedals..

on this new version, i tweaked the drums, see if they sit better now....
added some guitar parts as well...

I like this alot. My next purchase is a Carvin Bass. Have two Carvins Guitars now. Just love how they play. Anyway back to the tune. Very nice. I like the room mic feel. But I come from the old school rock era where that feel is the norm. Dont change it !!!!

I don't know if I like the new guitar part in the intro... It's good, but I think I preferred the simple one. The rest sounds good.

bushmaster
thanks for listening.....
my carvin bass is great. tho i'm thinking of taking the active electronics out of it, and going to passive.

squibble
yeah, i had to try something different for the intro, but i tend to agree with you, that it really isn't necessary in the beginning...

I didn't hear the original mix, but this sounds killer to me. I love the crispness of the guitar tones and how great the harmonies sound together. Drums have an awesome 70's rock sound going for them, but with modern production sensibilities which is cool to hear. The bass fits in very nicely between the guitar and drums and carries the melodic and rhythmic elements perfectly. Vocals are exactly right, too. Damn, this is a good mix.

hey trevorQ
thanks for listening! glad you dig the mix...

i'm thinking of breaking this song up, at about the 2/3rds mark, with an all acoustic section...
break it down, slow it down, then kick it back in...
think that would take the 'edge' off the intensity of it? it's pretty relentless....

the forum software will not let me go back into the original post to change the link........

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back