Transmit the Dead (on the Air Waves)

Good song.
I can't get into the guitar tones or bass drum though. The vox are good.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the vocals sound way too up front to me.

Listen to a track of a band that you like the way they are mixed and then listen to yours in succession.

Everything else sounds real good.

Thanks for listening, guys! I took the advice you gave and re-mixed the song a bit. The vocals sit better in the mix now. I also tweaked the main guitars, drums, cymbals, vocals and bass. It all sounds tighter and a bit fuller, too. Here's a link to the new mix: On-Edge - Transmit the Dead (on the Air Waves).

By the way, I'm sorry about the MySpace link. Sound Click is acting funny on me. If you would like the 320 kbps mp3, PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

I thought you'd like a little insight as to how this song was recorded. So, here's what was used:

Gretsch Synchromatic running through a Digitech RP50 going line in to my computer through a Behringer UB802 mixer. That was used to record all of the guitars. The rhythm guitars were recorded twice and panned 50% to the left and right. The secondary rhythm guitars were also recorded twice and also panned 50% to the left and right. The lead guitars were, once again, recorded twice and panned 50% to the left and right. EQ and volume were adjusted to my liking.

A Squire Affinity bass was used to record the bass. That was run straight through the mixer to the computer. There was only one bass track recorded and it was not panned. It was, however, adjusted for EQ and volume.

Drums were played from a Casio WK3000 using stock sounds. That was also run through the mixer. The kick and snare were recorded first on one track. Then the hats were recorded on a different track. Then the cymbals were recorded onto another track. A long, large plate, reverb was added to the cymbals to make them ring out longer and sound less synthesized. Then, finally, the toms were recorded onto their own track as well. None of the drum tracks were panned other than what was coming from the source (some of the drum samples are pre-panned to simulate an actual mic'd set). EQ and volume were adjusted.

Vocals were recorded using an Oktava condenser mic with a wind screen. There were about 8-10 vocal tracks recorded and arranged to fit in the song. The vocal tracks were de-essed and compressed using a standard "soft-knee" setting. After that, they were normalized to 50% and hard limited to -6db with a boost of 4db. Some of the vocal tracks were panned 25% to the left and right to add some dimension to the screams and chorus vocals. A light chorus effect and a small amount of reverb were added to the vocals to give them some depth. They were then EQ'ed and adjusted for volume.

The final mix was filtered for subsonic rumble, 60hz ground loop, and subharmonics. Then, it was normalized and hard limited to 0db with a boost of 4db to even out the levels a bit. Then it was normalized again to -.01db to eliminate the clipping.

Adobe Audition 1.5 was used to record with no other software besides what originally came with the program.

By the way, Sound Click is back up and running. Here's the link to the song: Transmit the Dead (on the Air Waves)

Again, thanks for listening.

It's pretty good but it's way too loud. Although I should say it's way too loud for me Okay I'm getting old.... Things that crossed my mind while listening:
- I like the limited number of screams. They were placed well but never excessive.
- At low volumes, there's a relatively good balance between all the instruments.
- was lacking dynamics but it is mixed for today's radio/market.
- This would be a trip to do live lol
- thought it was well written overall.

:cool::D:cool::D

-

It's pretty good but it's way too loud. Although I should say it's way too loud for me Okay I'm getting old.... Things that crossed my mind while listening:
- I like the limited number of screams. They were placed well but never excessive.
- At low volumes, there's a relatively good balance between all the instruments.
- was lacking dynamics but it is mixed for today's radio/market.
- This would be a trip to do live lol
- thought it was well written overall.

:cool::D:cool::D

-

Thanks for the review. I have to disagree about it being too loud, though. If anything, I don't think it's loud enough. As for the live thing, it will be hard but I think we can do it. Again, thanks for the review.

Back