Track Critique please

slinky

Hi
I have put my new track `Mamba` up at http://paulholzherr.com/?page_id=55
Please give it a listen and post any comments. I am using cubase 5 with the sounds supplied with this software + acoustic guitar recorded with a jack lead into an edirol FA 66. I am basically looking for improvements in mastering.
I tried adding cubase`s maximiser to the audio mix which gave the whole mix a boost but ended up with the `shaker/cymbals` sounding washed out. I then used the highest quality mp3 settings which gave me a file size of about 9MB (for a 4 minute track) but could not upload this on to my site because it was too large.
What do I need to give it a kick and improve the dynamics?

thanks for any input.

Very cool upbeat little track. Nice guitar line- very detailed. I think the bassline could be brought up in the mix. Overall a very polished sound- nice!

Thanks for that industrialokie,
I have turned up the bass a bit and made a new mp3 with a little maximizer from cubase and kept the quality levels within the permitted parameters. Onwards and upwards - well, straight and level will do!:D

Crispy clear and spacious. A nice, clear mix. Definitely has a vaguely latin/caribbean sound to it, which is not something I hear much of, so...

No mastering tips here I'm afraid, but whatever you did certainly didn't wash out the shakers. They are clear as day - almost too much so. There is a sterility to the percussion tracks that doesn't compliment the guitar as well as it might, but I know nothing of cubase or how one goes about assembling these sounds.

The guitar is well played to be sure. I was happily surprised towards the end of the piece as it picked up in both volume and complexity. Very well done.

I did find that the guitar was a little uneven level-wise towards the beginning and would have liked it up some. Better towards the end though. I still think the bass could come up more.

I'm not a big fan of the DI guitar sound. If you recorded the acoustic with a couple of mics, or ran it through an amp and recorded that it would add another dimension to your sound

I clicked on the "Vortique" link by mistake and couldn't figure out why all the comments didn't match. The first 1 and a half minutes of that tune are amazing.

In Mamba, I found the percussion to be competing too much with the guitar part - its a little distracting. I'd drop the volume of the percussion when the guitar part comes in strongly. I preferred the mix around 1:50 when the percussion drops.

Thanks for the comments bagpipe.
I must say I tend to agree with all the comments so far and all this is very useful. Two or more sets of ears are always better than one.

Back